Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IEEE 1394

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBCohen

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
US
I just reformatted my hard drive on a sony laptop pII. When I was done I went into device mamager and I notice that I had and exclamation point on 1394 host controller. My OS is Xp Pro, and I have tried everything. I know there is a conflict and that xp does not recognize this driver. Does anyone know a way around this situation.

Last night I reformatted the hard drive all over with xp sp2.
Thought that might take care of the problem; however it did not. It finds the controller and then when I put in the sony system recovery cd and try and load the drivers, that is when my problem occurs. I get a statement that describes a bad or conflicted driver? Can not be to sure right now.
Also, the drivers were working before this whole mess started, because my usb and pcmcia slots where working. With out this controller I can not use the pcmcia slots nor a usb to rj45 adapter. That is why I am wondering if I have a bad controller or not. I could load w2k and see if it works or linux?

You need to load the Win2K compatible driver (website), not the one off the CD. Remember, the CD that came with your laptop was before WinME or Win2K even came out.

Follow the instructions at that link to completely remove it, before trying to reload the driver.

Also, you say it worked before, but was it under XP?

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Yes, I will read and try again. Let you know waht is happening at that point. Again, thank you for all of your help.

I've got exactly the same problem on my PCG-F305

the only thing I did notice was this bit in the Ilink.exe notes..

"To install these drivers correctly, this utility requires Windows 2000 to be installed on the boot partition (C:). The drivers will not be installed correctly if Windows 2000 is installed in a different hard drive partition. "

my system has it installed in a different partition and I don't want to re-build it all over again !

interestingly on my machine only the firewire port is effected, the pmcia slots and usb ports work ok.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I thought I would drop a line to let you know what is going on. Well I put Linux RedHat on the Sony and everything works fine. I have to quess that something is wrong with Xp. I do appreciate the help, and if I put Xp back on the Sony and I run into problems I will let you know.
Thanks Adam

I forgot to do an update after my last round of faffing :-

I unpacked the Ilink.exe and to cut a long story short sony can't write an install for toffee - hard coded paths !
you have to create a folder called c:\winnt to get the Ilink.exe to unpack itself correctly.

what you end up with after Ilink.exe has finished is a set of drivers that whilst trying to install them say "there was a problem - blar - blar unstable driver etc" - so the same as the origninal set of drivers.
(although when Ilink.exe runs it claims that it installed them sucessfully - it lies)

I then manually installed the drivers and hacked the resistry to ensure the drivers where loaded. It was a bit of a case of the blind leading the partially sighted so I may have made a mistake somewhere - I ended up with an unusable system and had to re-install XP - even the recovery console didn't work !

oh - I also tried the patch suggested by linney - unfortuately this didn't make any difference to the situation, at least for me.

Okay I got the Sony Laptop to work. Do not ask me how. I loaded Linux Redhat and then loaded Xp Pro and all is well. Thanks for all of the help.

from all of the things i have done as in hacking the 1394.inf to show the older driver , suprisingly it was already there ,, windows XP already has the drivers . everyting is there , the only problem is getting it to use "ohci1394.sys" instead of sony1394, but even though that 1394.inf says "sony1394.sys" noware in the device driver it still asks for it , heck i even tryed renaming the ohci1394.sys .. and it almost worked , well it got past the main will not work , i got a can not Start Device error after that ,, you think that with how tecnicly advanced Japan is that someone in japan would be having the same problem and have the drivers for it... but thats the trouble with legacey Computers , so old no one thinks people will be using them with newer operating systems ..

On a side note .. i have a PCG-Z505rx (most all the older PII have the same 1394 card in them)
If anyone manages to hack the driver and it works correctly with the outdated verson of sony1394.sys or ohci1394.sys i like a copy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back