Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IEEE 1394

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBCohen

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
US
I just reformatted my hard drive on a sony laptop pII. When I was done I went into device mamager and I notice that I had and exclamation point on 1394 host controller. My OS is Xp Pro, and I have tried everything. I know there is a conflict and that xp does not recognize this driver. Does anyone know a way around this situation.

Go to the Sony web site and download the proper driver.

I have done that and their site does not have any for XP.

What exactly does it say under the device in Device Manager?

You can likely use a Win2k driver under XP as an additional note.

I am getting an exclamation point on the 1394 bus controller.
Also, when I try and load the drivers, toward the end of loading I get a statement that says that there is a problem loading the drivers. With that said I am now wondering if I have a bad bus controller.

Check out drivers.com.

Not a guarentee, and read up prior to downloading the files, but if one exists they're likely to have it.

Thanks for your help. If the drivers to do work could be I have a bad board? Let me know what you think.

OK, let's back up for a second.

First of all, are you saying that you have a firewire PCMCIA card (IEEE 1394)? When you said "bad board", that threw me off a bit. It's not part of your motherboard, since the technology wasn't around at the time PII's were being sold. You must have meant "card".

Anyway, it is possible that you are using the wrong driver. And as you have already said, it is also possible that you have a bad card. Try it in another laptop if possible. Also, take the card out to see the make/model. Go to their site to look for the drivers.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I am guessing that it is a bad board on the motherboard. From what I have read the 1394 bus controller works alot of different things on the laptop. For one my NIC card with not work nor will a USB NIC work too. So I know it has something to do with the driver.
I did take your advice and went to drivers.com, however the drivers I found and loaded onto the laptop did not work. I got the message the C:/Windows/System/ilink/ilink.bat could not run or something like that.
Let me know what you think.

Adam,
I don't think you and I are on the same page. IEEE 1394 is also known as firewire, which is a high-speed transfer protocol like USB 2.0. Because you have an older Sony laptop with a Pentium II, I don't think firewire was around back then, at least not mainstream.

Therefore, it would seem that you have an "add-in" card of some kind. Can you check again and post back?
Thanks...

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I do know what you are saying. And that is what I thought; however this IEEE 1394 controls the two pcmcia slots and the USB on the back of the laptop. I know this because I cannot get any of my nic cards to work in the slots, also my usb nic will not work either.
Every time I remove the IEEE 1394 and try to reload it says that I am either missing the sony1394.sys or that it cannot star the ilink.bat.
I am sorry for not describing the situation better. Post back and let my know what you are think. Thanks

OK, you're right! I forgot that Sony was one of the first to use the 1394 iLink. In your case, it is part of the PCI host controller which affects all PCMCIA devices.

I didn't have your exact model number, but try this driver off of Sony's website. It is compatible with Windows 2000:

If that doesn't work, post back with your laptop's exact model number.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

I did try that and what happens is statement that says c:/windows/system32/ilink/ilink.bat cannot start or something to that extent.
I still have the recovery cds from sony and when I use them it tells me I am missing sony1394.sys. Maybe am I missing something or should I try loading windows again.

Have you loaded SP1 or Sp2 and all updates yet, If not that mite help. I have two sony vio's a Sony Vio PCG-FRV25 and VGN-A190 both fire wire port work when booted with Bart_Pe you mite be able to see if drivers or hardware if you have or can find a Bart_pe boot disk.

What 1394 driver are you missing? have you tried a search for the drivers to see what your missing?. The drivers that you should have are:
1394bus.sys/arp1394.sys/enum1394.sys/nic1394.sys/ohci1394.sys and should all be in c:\windows\system32\drivers folder. Have you uninstalled the 1394 host controller from device manager and re booted the pc?

Yes, and everytime I do that I get two things that come up. One, if I use the Sony system cd it tells me that I am missing sony1394.sys and then I get an exclamation point. Two when I use the drivers from sony ilink I get closer, but then is tells me it cannot start the ilink.bat.
Now that I think about it and you tell me. I have two Xp pro cds one with sp1 and the other with sp2. At first I tried to reformat with sp2 and this is when things started happening. So I reformatted with sp1 and this is were I am now. By the way I have a Sony fcg-f180.

Looked at My 2 Sony vio note books both runing Sony OEM XP home, no Sony1394.sys file found.

allteltec,
But how much newer are your Sony laptops? If they don't have a mobile PII, then they probably don't have the same PCI architecture or host controller. Thus, probably use different drivers with different filenames.

Adam,
OK, I have another question. [wink]

1) Did this laptop ever have XP installed with the 1394 controller working? Even though the driver is compatible in Win2K, there's a small chance that it just won't work in XP.

2) If you go back to that link I posted above, it specifically states that you must "[blue]first remove the ILINK.EXE installation files[/blue]" before running that iLink.exe file. The steps on how to completely remove those files is listed on that page. Make sure you try this.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

I've looked on my machine and i haven't got sony1394.sys or ilink.bat, What sony laptop do you have?

rwf36,
As stated in his last post, it is model FCG-F180 which has a PII.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back