Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ieee 1394 - won't install drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
I've got a dell laptop here that's recovering from a trojan. Virus is gone, however the aftermath appears just as bad as before.

No matter what I do, I can't get the thing to install the IEEE 1394 Bus Controller drivers. I've downloaded the latest from dell, too. Uninstalled in Safemode. Tried updating, reinstalling, and even a Windows repair console to restore the ohci1394.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers dir.

System restore isn't an option as the virus is had already wiped that option out.

When I try to force it to take a new driver, I get "There was a problem installing this hardware. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The specified service does not exist as an installed service." I get this with letting it find a driver on it's own, and also when I try to use the updated chipset drivers from dell.

Been fighting this all day....Never really had this issue before. Just really REALLY don't wanna have to blow it away.. But, since the driver won't take, things like the CD/DVD and all USB ports won't work. They all have exclamations on them stating the driver is installed, but it can't find the device.

Anyone ran into this before?

Can you use the Device Manager to uninstall all the flaky hardware, reboot, and let Windows rediscover and reinstall the various drivers?

General Troubleshooting for IEEE 1394 Devices and Host Controllers

In Search Of 'Mystery' Devices

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

certain devices, e.g. USB, need the ChipSet drivers first, before they are recognized correctly...

so I would start by installing the correct chipset drivers for your mainboard, then attempt to install the device drivers, and if that does not work it would be an Inplace-Upgrade install (as mentioned by Linney).

if that does not solve the issue, then back up your personal data and go for a clean install...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I once ran into something related...I have had several issues with firewire in the past...the first was erroneously plugging in a 6 pin-to-4-pin cable backwards (on the 6-pin end) with the 4-pin end already plugged into a Digital 8 video camera...the power from the 6-pin port apparently "fried" the firewire port on my camera, effectively ending my ability to capture video straight from the camera or to use it as a "pass-thru" device...(so be careful with using 6-to-4 cables, it's something they don't think to warn you about in the manuals, but they consider it important to always include an illustrated section in the beginning warning you not to use the electrical device while taking a bath or in a lightning storm!)...Back to this subject, my next run-in with my nemesis, the ieee1394, was when, after not using it for a while, I decided to try some video capture (mini DV this time) and the Sony computer would not recognize it's brother the Sony digital video camera-True story! I had to do a lot of research to get this one fixed and I found out this: after the installation of a MS Windows XP update, I believe it was SP2 or SP3, I can't remember, they updated the 5 necessary files for the 1394 host controller and 2 of the newer versions create problems. This can be fixed but it requires a series of steps and the replacement of 2 particular files (I believe they were 1394bus.sys and ohci1394.sys) with their counterparts from SP1. They can be found on the web and I think there's also a way to get them from the SP1 cab files. I am going to try pasting in a little piece I copied from another forum which does a better job of explaining it but if it doesn't paste correctly, try the link, below, or search for 1394 firewire XP SP problem and you'll find it.

Now, this may or may not be related to your issue, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Camcorders forum: 1394 and camcorder problem with XP sp3 maybe
solved.
by: lordniacin January 3, 2011 4:48 PM PST
1394 and camcorder problem with XP sp3 maybe solved.
by lordniacin - January 3, 2011 4:48 PM PST
I read many forums on people's 1394 firewire cards not installing and camcorders not connecting after upgrading to sp2 or sp3.
I totally fixed it by rolling back two drivers to the WinXP sp1 version. The two drivers are: 1394 bus.sys, and ohci1394.sys.
Now my ADS Pyro card installs (no yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager) and I have perfect captures and camcorder control again.
Briefly, this is how I did it (CANNOT guarantee this will work for other people)
1. Uninstalled all references to the card, and the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Adaptor, from Device Manager. Rebooted into Safe Mode to doublecheck
it was entirely uninstalled.
2. Shut down and physically removed the 1394 card.
3. Restarted and googled for the old, sp1 versions of the 1394 drivers, and downloaded them.
4. used start> search> files and folders to locate where the bad sp3 drivers were living on my computer. I found them under
c:windows\system32\drivers. Carefully backed them up onto a thumb drive.
5. Went to replace the crappy sp3 versions with the older sp1 versions, but they kept popping back. Learned that Windows replaces them
from the files sp2.cab and sp3.cab. I located those files and moved them onto the thumb drive, then unplugged the thumb drive! Now
Windows could not screw with me by replacing the files!
6. Double-checked that the sp1 drivers were correctly put in place of the sp3 drivers. You can tell because the version numbers are earlier.
7. Shut down, reinstalled my Pyro 1394 card, restarted. The "new hardware wizard" saw the card, and correctly installed the sp1 drivers for
it! No yellow excamation mark for the 1394 card in Device Manager anymore! The old sp1 drivers also install a needless "1394 network
adaptor" (some kind of leftover, old-school networking thing) under Device Manager and I went to its Properties>Disable and disabled it.
8. Restarted several times, made sure the sp1 drivers "held". After a few restarts Windows figures those drivers are the ones supposed to
be there.
9. Connected my Sony camcorder, fired up my Vegas Video 10. Went to Capture>preferences (I think) to tell Vegas Video to capture from
the 1394 card. Perfect video captures and camera control!
10. Finally, moved the sp2.cab and sp3.cab files back to where they originally were. If I ever did a major update, or ran System File
Checker, I imagine it would use these files to try and undo what I did, and I'd have to install the sp1 drivers again.
I should mention that I am an EE, worked on this problem for a while and probably read 150 "solutions." I installed some Microsoft Hotfixes
related to 1394. I found a reference to certain updates that screw with your Registry enties for 1394 cards and sets them to "Read Only" so
a 1394 card *cannot* install. This was true on my computer and I had to fix them by hand. I learned that the sp2 and maybe sp3 drivers
were "crippled" to run at only 100 meg not 400 meg like firewire is supposed to do. Funny coincidence--firewire was designed by Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back