Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE8 won't read a PDF file

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
In a webpage I am working on (HTML4) I have :

<A HREF="./doc/DA_TestData-FirstThreeTests.pdf">Test Data File</A>

Both locally and on a remote server, IE8 refuses to display the file even though

right-click -> Save target as ...

saves the file. If I can save the file, it must be visible, but it will not display. There must be some setting in IE which needs resetting, but I cannot identify it.

All assistance appreciated.

IE8 by itself would not display a PDF file. It needs to have the Adobe Reader Plugin installed to do it.

The first thing to do would be to check if you have it installed and if not, download it form adobe.com.

With that said, what happens when you click on the link? Does it try to download it also? Does it produce an error like a 404 page?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi Vacunita

I have Adobe Reader 9.1.3 working perfectly.

Clicking on the link takes me to a page which tells me that, 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

Hi BillyRayPreachersSon

Yes, it reads okay. There are no problems reading the version of the PDF saved using "Save As

What happens when you go to a PDF on another site? For example, the following link is a PDF on Adobe's site: do you get the same error when you click on that?

If so, there could be something wrong with your Acrobat browser plug-in, and it might be worth re-installing it (remember, the standalone Acrobat Reader could be working just fine, but that doesn't mean the plug-in is too).

Also, which version of IE are you using, 32-bit or 64-bit? Some plug-ins have trouble on 64-bit IE, and Acrobat may be one of them, although I could be mistaken. If this is the case, try the site in the 32-bit version and see if it works.

I tend to agree with blueark.

Just because the standalone reader is working, doesn't mean the IE8 plug-in is also.

Have you tried disabling the Plug-In?

This should make IE download the file instead of attempting to open it. If it does download it then you know there's a problem with the Plug-In. Maybe re-installing would solve it.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Then that sounds like your plug in has a problem.
Again try disabling it from the Add-ons window in IE. and then try loading the pdf again see if it attempts to download it.

If it does you know the plug in was faulty.
Try re-installing Adobe Reader again so it installs the plug-ion again.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Good News!

I downloaded Adobe Reader 9.2, installed it and all is well.

I suspect the problem originated somehow from the last set of updates Adobe bestowed on me - though you don't usually suspect that sort of thing.

My thanks to all who offered advice and assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back