Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7 throws "Some settings are managed by your system administrator"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmiles

Programmer
Jun 14, 2003
US
Hi all,
I've noticed this now with a couple of machines. When I open up Internet Options and go into Security, I get a little yellow bar at the bottom that warns me that "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." This prevents me from adding Trusted Sites, change site policies, allowing downloads from sites, etc.

This is happening on machines with Windows Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise Edition. One is a virtual machine, running as a guest on another 2003 machine, and the other one is a 64-bit machine that has had little configuration. I may have a couple other machines that have the same problem.

I've made sure there are no group policies set. I've tried resetting IE settings back to the factory originals. On another VM that I had the same problem on, I even tried uninstalling IE7. None of those has done me any good.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Rebuilding the machines isn't really an option. This doesn't make me any more eager to install IE7 on -any- machine.

Thanks,
-gmiles

Smah,
That tool doesn't seem to have anything related to allowing scripts to run on pages or permitting adding sites to the "Trusted Sites" zone.

I've tried adding sites manually with registry keys, and they will show up in the (grayed out, un-editable) Trusted Sites zone dialog, but it still does not permit access to the sites themselves.

-gmiles

I'm afraid that didn't do the trick. I'd already checked the first thing the mentioned, which doesn't seem to apply ti 2003 Server since none of the registry keys were there. Changing User Authentication was promising, but did not work unfortunately. Thanks for the link though.

-gmiles

After realizing how widespread this problem was (out of 13 machines, 10 had it), I did some comparisons in configurations between machines. It turns out the culprit is Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. I uninstalled it for Administrators on a couple of affected machines, and I could add sites to the Trusted zone without any problem. I re-installed it, and couldn't add sites to the Trusted zone, no matter how elevated my privileges were. So, I'll be uninstalling it on the affected machines. The unaffected machines had it installed as well, but for whatever reason, the settings weren't borked. These machines weren't all from the same image, and weren't all installed by the same person, so I have no idea what is causing Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration to be screwed up... But I'm glad to at least have a work-around.

For the record:
Start-> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Windows Components -> Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration -> Details -> For Administrator Groups. Uncheck that, click OK and Next, and the problem will be gone when you next open IE.

It's a non-ideal workaround, but you should be fairly judicious about what browsing you are doing on your server anyway.

-gmiles

I have had this issue happen also. I am thinking that it was caused by a windows update. We have many customers using Windows Server 2003 with IE7. We did not have this problem for a long time, then a couple weeks ago one server had it show up. Then a week or two later another one had the same issue. I am thinking the windows updates ran at different times causing it to happen at different times. Nothing else change don the servers. I am going to check with my boss to see if we can try your work around, but if you find another way please do post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back