Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7 protected mode - cannot print 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMichel

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
BE
I've redirected the favorites folder to an alternate location (d:\data\%username%\favorites) by changing the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Then, I've applied a low integrity level to this folder using the icals command
My problem is that when 'favorites' folder is redirected it is no more possible to print. I get the following error message :
Cannot find 'file:///C:/Users/TSW/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/xxxxxxxx.htm'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.
xxxxxxxx = random name
We have found that when 'favorites' folder is redirected the directory C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low is not created.
We have also found a temporary work around:
- Manually create the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low folder
- Execute the following command: icacls C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low
It seems that other users are experiencing the same issue:

This document shows that I used the right method to move the ‘favorites’ folder.

Can someone do the following test:
• Move the favourite’s folder to a new location.
• Clean the temp folder under c:\users\%username%\appdata\temp. This will wipe out the subdir \low used by IE7 protected mode to store temp files.
• Run IE7 in protected mode (this is the default)
• Try to print a web page. You should get an error message.
• Now move ‘favorites’ folder back to its default location
• Try again to print. It should work. Subdir \low is recreated.

Are you sure this Temp folder is legit, all I have here is c:\users\%username%\appdata\LocalLow or Local or Roaming, they are not in any folder called Temp just in the Appdata folder?

Sorry, I did a mistake in my procedure. Here is a new one:

Can someone do the following test:
• Move the favourite’s folder to a new location.
• Clean the temp folder under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\. This will wipe out the subdir \low used by IE7 protected mode to store temp files.
• Run IE7 in protected mode (this is the default)
• Try to print a web page. You should get an error message.
• Now move ‘favorites’ folder back to its default location
• Try again to print. It should work. Subdir \low is recreated.

I tried what you asked, printing of a Web Page was successful and no error messages encountered.

Linney,

Was the folder C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low recreated ?
How did you moved the favorites folders (registry, GUI, GPO) ?
Thanks for testing !

Michel

One more question: did you moved favorites to an other drive ?

Was the folder C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low recreated ?

YES, and in the original location. I "Moved" the Favorites via the GUI from C: drive to F: drive. C: and F: are separate partitions but are on the same harddrive.

Linney, it seems that you are particularelly lucky !

Other users are experiencing similar problem:

After the first error, I also get a second error message:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 2068
Char: 1
Error: Object required
Code: 0
URL: res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg

I don't know about lucky, I'm not usually lucky.

I only did your test on a limited (standard) user's folder as that same logged in user. I didn't try it on other non-logged on users. I didn't have to negotiate any UAC prompts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back