Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7 error message every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brose99

Technical User
Sep 30, 2005
US
I finally upgraded my rig with IE7, but every time I fire it up, I get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Then it gives me the choice of sending the error report or not. No matter what I choose, it closes the application. The only way I can use IE7 is to drag the warning to the extreme bottom of the screen. Problem is towards the end of the day, I have to do this a dozen times.

I've gone to the Microsoft website with no luck and even tried calling them. I never had this problem with IE6.
It's gotta be an easy fix...

I'll assume that your computer met the specs required for IE7.
It's hard to believe that Microsoft couldn't give you an answer.
Without knowing what you did with your computer before the upgrade, you may as well do a complete virus scan, and defragment. Uninstall the upgrade then reinstall IE7.

SMAH-

I tried running it in No Add On mode and had the same result. I tried your link but I'm not sure it pertains to my problem.

YOUDIDWHAT-

My computer did meet all the required specs for IE7. Microsoft's tech line was closed for Easter, and I spent hours on their site and couldn't find an answer. I am going to try Microsoft tech suport again tomorrow and if I get the runaround, then I will try to uinstall and then reinstall.

Any other ideas?

Didn't realize they were closed. I'm sure you can get squared away tomorrow.

If you do the uninstall / reinstall.... do the reinstall in safe mode. This will give you the best chance of a good installation unaffected by other software, including antispyware/antivirus tools that might lock certain registry keys (which is often another cause of a incomplete installation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back