Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 won't always download

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH1253

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
GB
I'm running XP Home, and can use IE6 normally from my account. But none of the other users can get IE6 to work properly. It will start up and use msn.com, and will download pages from its search facility usually, but other search engines, like Google or Yahoo, just hang, displaying "Done" at the bottom left but not changing. I've tried cleaning up the system with AdAware and Spybot, with no success. I recently removed Mandrake Linux, and used a Win98SE boot disk to restore the mbr, but don't know if this is the reason. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

[bigears]

The first thing to try would be to have your users run the Disk Cleanup program to remove Temporary Internet Files and other Temporary files and see if that helps.

I had tried cleaning up before, but got everyone to try again, with the same result as previously. But now I have narrowed down the problem - it seems only Google and Yahoo (isn't that based on Google now?) fail to work. Everything else - typing in URLs, using other engines like Dogpile - functions normally. Any suggestions now?

Ta again. [bigears]

Create a brand new user and see if the problem re-occurs. If the new user does not have the problem, there is some corruption in the older user profiles.

Microsoft Advice:

In certain situations, you may not be able to browse sites if your Windows user profile is damaged. To troubleshoot, log on to the computer as another user and try to connect to a secure Web site. If you can connect to secure Web sites when you are logged in as a different user, this may indicate that your user profile is corrupted. In this situation, back up the information and settings that you want from your profile (for example, the My Documents and Favorites folders), and then delete the damaged profile. To delete a user profile:
Log on to the computer as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
Click the Advanced tab, and then under User Profiles, click Settings.
In the Profiles stored on this computer list, click the user profile that you want to delete, and then click Delete.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
Click OK, click OK, and then quit Control Panel.
Log off the computer as Administrator, and then log on as the user.

Windows creates a new profile for the user.
Note: Alternatively, you may want to create a new user, and then copy the data from your old profile to the profile of the new user. For additional information about how to do so, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

What permissions are set for your user profile? Do you have a firewall installed? The combination of your user profile plus the level of security set in IE can cause this problem. If you look at your IE properties and compare theirs I will bet that their security level is set higher than yours.

Thanks a lot, everyone. I hate to say it but one of the first things I did was create a new user: still no access to Google. I hadn't checked the security settings, but they are all much the same as my own. I tried reducing one account' settings to the minimum, still no joy. Prhaps I should contemplate a WinXP reinstall? I did try removing IE and reinstalling it but it made no difference. Could it be a Registry problem?

Thanks.

[bigears]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back