Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 shuts down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJ33

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
US
I am using Win 98 and IE6. When I go certain sites, IE 6 shuts down and goes back to desktop. Some sites come up for a second or two and some immediately shut down IE6. I have tried Spybot with no success. I took IE6 off and reloaded still nothing helps

Script debugging is disabled and TLS 1.0 is not checked

Ok, still more shots in the dark.
Do you have this patch?

Have you tried registering this dll??
Start, Run, type in and run 'regsvr32 shdocvw.dll' (ignore the tic marks)

There are some other good pieces of advice in this thread:
thread608-132319

Let me know...

I tried registering the dll ....no change in access to the sites.

I downloaded the q321232 and when I go to run it, a message saying that IE 6 should be installed, which it is.

Ok...coupla more ideas...

Try registering the following litany of dlls:

regsvr32 Shell32.dll
OK
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
OK
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
OK
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
OK
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
OK

Also, after making a registry backup for safety's sake:

Go into regegit, navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ExplorerRemoteComputer\NameSpace

Highlight this value:
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
Delete it
(you shouldn't have to restart for it to take effect, but's a good idea)

I'm using Win XP pro with IE6 and having exactly the same problem as described here. One additional note, any time I try to enter a chat session (once with a hardware support site and once with my computer manufacturer (Gateway)) site, IE6 again terminates and sends me back to the desktop.

When I initially installed IE6 this problem was not present. This is a long shot but let me mention a couple of things I've done just prior to the problem to see if they coincide with others experiance.
1. installed / activated an updated Java virtual machine
2. insatlled / activated an updated jinitiator program
3. installed and ran the windows washer program which deletes a number of IE temp files

Not sure if this is the complete list so if anyone has any other ideas I'll check to see if they are similar to what I've done as well.
Thanks,
Joe

Well after reloading windows and following much of the fixes offerd by all, I finally gave up. Instead of fdisking and reloading everything (who has the time) I gave up and loaded Netscape 7.0. Problem gone.

Thanks to all for the great tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back