Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 resuming downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

edt82

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
AU
Hi everyone,

I can't seem to find info about how to make IE6 resume interrupted dl's (is this possible at all?). I've already searched out MS's KB, and it hasn't said it was impossible but I failed to find out how.

I know there are programs out there that are more friendlier in this respect (eg Getright), but just for curiosity's sake I'd like to know if IE can do it.

Anybody?

Thanx.

IE6 is SUPPOSED to be able to resume those downloads that are resumable [not all are] but I've been using Download Accelerator Plus for quite some time. It doesn't really 'accelerate' the download but I got it for the resume part and the scheduling part.

I have successfully resumed several downloads using IE6, but only from sites which allow resume and you re-connect using the exact URL that you did before stopping.

I have not found any documentation supporting this though, but I can confirm that IE6 does resume downloads.

thanx for replying berton,weezecat.

weezecat, are you using a 3rd party utility as well? If not, and you're using IE6 alone, did u get IE6 to resume a download 'straight out of the box' or is there a plug-in/SP/etc... from MS?

>did u get IE6 to resume a download 'straight out of the
> box' or is there a plug-in/SP/etc... from MS?

I can get IE to resume. You need to sure the url is the same and the file is going to the same location.

If you are

1- Downloading from nonresumable servers
2- On dialup and using a different IP at reconnect
3- Using a proxy server

It may not work. To answer your question yes it works straight out the box.

HTH

Ash.

I have also used IE6 resume download feature.Just adding to what others have said"only http sites are supported using IE6.not sure about others though. When every thing else fails,read the instruction manual!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back