Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 opens new windows minimised!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sottini

Technical User
Oct 12, 2002
GB
HI,

This week a problem has arisn whereby if I click a link within IE6 or right click to open a link in a new window, the window opens only as a minimized title bar.

I have virus scanned and found nothing, but it still happens....I'm sure there is a key in the registry to dictate the default size of a new window, but I can't find it!!!!

Anyone got any ideas??

Try this:

Open IE, right click any URL and select 'Open in a New Window'. Go back to the first
IE window you opened and close it. Return to the second window and manually drag
it to fill the screen (do not use the maximize button). Close this second window
using the close box (X) in the upper right corner while holding the 'CTRL' key. All
IE windows should now open maximized.

Thanks for that, but it doesn't work.....I have tried it by using the close icon and the file:close option but the new windows still appear minimized......

Hmmm....it remotely possiible that you've got corruption in these two registry key values. Go into regedit and delete the values for these two keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\window_placement

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\internetexplorer\Desktop\Explorer\desktop\oldWorkAreas\OldWorkAreaRects

and reboot. They'll be rebuilt on restart.

Thanks, works a treat!!! I knew it was there, just not good at diving in the registry.....Is there a reference somewhere I can check up on these keys in the future?

Hey - thanks for this tip! I've been looking everywhere, trying everything....but THIS ONE WORKED. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back