Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 not displaying graphics on certain pages only 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

fl4ian

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
i service a small business with 6 machines (all running w2k).

two of these machines have the exact same problem: certain pages do not load the graphics. it is an intermittent problem. for instance, home.yahoo.com and belarc.com both do not display the graphics. if you F5 (refresh) it still will not show the graphics. HOWEVER, if you change the encoding to Western European (ISO) or Western European (Windows) it WILL display the graphics. subsequent refreshes (after you've change the encoding) will again NOT show the graphics. a quick check of the encoding reveals that it is still encoding at Wester European (ISO or Window) which ever you chose. in other words, the encoding selection has not changed, but you are now unable to view the graphics.

other pages that are viewed with the same machines load just fine. for example msn.com shows all the graphics (and there are quite a few)...

so... the problem is intermittent in the fact that not all pages load graphics. however, the problem is consistent in the fact that pages that don't load graphics NEVER load graphics (unless you change the encoding).

these are the fixes i've tried with no success (cold booting in between):
1) selecting 'auto-select' in the encoding menu.
2) clearing the temporary internet files cache.
3) reinstalling ie6 over the current installation.
4) editing the registry value (per Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 283807) to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage set as default to C_28591.NLS

the KB article (283807) seems to deal with persistent non-display of graphics (for ALL web pages), but i thought i'd give it a try anyway.

i'd rather not wipe the machine just for this, but if that's the solution....

any help would be much appreciated...

Okay, I researched this encoding problem very thoroughly and I think I found a definite answer in my case. A program called cmanager.exe was running at startup (from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). This program is called Connection Manager and is used, in this case, by SBC DSL. I removed it from registry and the problem was fixed. I put it back in the registry as a troubleshooting method and the problem returned.

To use cmanager.exe anyway I found a workaround. Since stuff in the registry Run key runs very early in the boot process I think this is why cmanager.exe is interfering with the encoding in IE. I created a shortcut to cmanager.exe on the desktop and opened it after the computer was up and running and it didn't seem to cause any problems.

All this was tested on a Windows 98SE computer with Internet Explorer 6 all the critical Windows updates installed.

Hope this helps.

Still no fix for me, but I may be getting a new computer soon with Windows XP (I'm still stuck on '98). Maybe with a new operating system this problem will dissapear.

I'm posting basically to bump this thread back up for those who have the similar problems so that they can view it and for those who may have more suggestions to add to the thread.

I was faced with this same problem after I re-installed ZoneAlarm a while ago. When I viewed the source code for one of the pages that I couldn't view the graphics on, I showed that ZoneAlarm's Popup Blocker was stopping the graphics.
So, turned off ZA and... no change! Uninstalled ZA and... result!! Will need to try a different firewall, but am using Win XP's own (although it's not the best out there -roll on SP2!) and all is working again.

Try it, you nay be lucky.

This is quite a large thread, and I have posts dating back pretty far in this, so let me re-state a few things.

I am running Windows 98 first edition with SBC Yahoo DSL software and something within it is the culprit to my problem of no images showing up on select pages. (Probably one of the many useless yahoo affiliated programs installed, which I immediately uninstall!)

Anyways, I tried fixing it many times on many occasions, taking many suggestions in this thread. I fixed it an easy way! I just recently borrowed my brother-in-law's computer, because he was interested in selling it to me. I installed my exact same disk of internet software on it and the problem is nonexistant!

So what's the difference? He had Windows 98 Second edition installed, while I was stuck on the primary version. If some of you with this SBC Yahoo DSL problem are using first edition 98, get a copy of second edition off of somebody next time you reformat if it's worth it to you. I realize this applies to a rather small portion of people, but hey, I finally found my way and I'm glad!

I have never posted to this forum before. I found it through Google. This problem has been bugging me for three months. I had tried EVERYTHING to fix it, even switching to Mozilla Firefox!

User jamiebassnett: YOU ARE AWESOME! The hosts file was my problem. In fact, I now recall that the problem started soon after I installed Kazaa-lite. I deleted all of the extraneous crap in the hosts file, and reverted to a previous copy (luckily it had been copied as Hosts.BAK).

This solved my problem.

I have no idea who you are but THANK YOU. May good karma rain down upon you, etc... [2thumbsup]

A very happy user. username: jamiebassnettROX

Hello Everyone,
I have read just about all the posts on this thread and still cannot find the answer to why some jpegs are not displaying on my website. The images are simply not there, no red x , just empty space. I checked view-source and in the source code IE6 removed the jpeg in my code!!! On machines that do display the jpegs, the source code has the jpeg in it. How weird is that!?

Anyone?

baddogstar

Wanted to add my findings here in hopes of helping others with this annoying problem. I tried just about everything in this thread short of reinstalling XP trying to solve the intermittent missing graphic problems and stumbled across the solution on another site. Here is the article that describes the solution:

I was using a download manager called "Download Express" which created the Name-Space Handler keys mentioned in the article, once I uninstalled it the problem went away. A user on a different site was using a different download manager called GetRight and was also able to resolve it by uninstalling the program.

Hope this info helps someone!

I had the, dreaded "red-x", or IE encoding problem where IE keeps going back to Western European (ISO) all on its own, no matter how many times you set it back to normal, it keeps reverting back to something other than Western European (Windows).

I have traveled the net far and wide, even followed a forum on the MCSE site that went on for over 6 months with this problem to no avail.

Microsoft seems to know nothing of the problem, and offers no solution to it.

My heart goes out to the many people who suffer this same, more than annoying problem. Those same people who keep getting poor advice, such as use AD-AWARE, use SPYBOT, try an AntiVirus, reinstall this, delete that, copy this, do a complete reinstall.

I have tried all those, ...and more.

Then you get those that post, here try this, it worked for me. And, you go and try it, and it doesnt work.

Short of a complete reinstall of Windows, it seems futile.

Well, today, in one last ditch effort before commiting to a full reinstall, I checked one last thing.

Everyone kept saying to check in the following registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage and make sure that c_28591.nls was listed, and when people checked there, and saw that it was, people were stumped.

Now as in my case, yes, c_28591.nls was in fact listed at that registry location, HOWEVER, that actual file, c_28591.nls, did not exist on my hard drive anywhere.

So, first thing, I put the XP disk in the drive, clicked Start, then Run, then typed in CMD and hit OK. Got my black command line window. From there I typed the following:
expand d:\i386\C_28591.NL_ c:\windows\system32\C_28591.NLS
...and then hit the Enter key.

Next, do a reboot.

When "my" machine came back up, the problem was solved. Talk about letting out a loud scream.

You see, my problem was not in the registry entry, but in the fact that, that file wasnt even on my system. Now, other peoples problem might be that they dont even have it in the registry entry. In which case they will need to first enter the correct entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage, and then possibly need to do what I just described to get the file on their system, but they may already have the file on their system, and merely need to correct their registry entry.

I beleive a gentleman a few posts above mine, posted the entire fixed registry key that you could save to a text file and rename the extension to ".REG".

Either way, your problem is hopefully going to be one of the following:

WRE=Wrong Registry Entry
CRE=Correct Registry Entry
FNH=File is Not on your Hard drive
FIH=File IS on your Hard drive

1. CRE + FNH (My Scenario)
2. WRE + FNH
3. WRE + FIH

Still may not work for some of you, although I dont see how, but, never say never, especially with computers!

Hello all, i have got windows xp and have had a strange problem where by certain advertisements and banners do not appear when using ie6, there seems to be 2 diffrent types of problems in this forum, one being that pictures do not show on all/or certain webpages and one where by certain advertisements and banners do not appear which is the problem that i used to have, i resolved this by going into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and renaming the HOSTS file to hosts.old as soon as i did this i went to web page that i'd had problems with and vola fine. (if you are using zone alarm then shut it down as well, as this blocks certain adds and banners as well)

Here comes a different slant on the problem. I am using IE6 and Windows 2000.

I have posted a web page up to our server, when this page is downloaded to a client machine one of the images and the associated link in missing from the page, if I download to a different client it works ok. I don't get the little red x, I don't get anything appearing where the image and link should be and if I mouseover I don't get a change to the mousepointer.

Even stranger, when I view the source through the browser on the client machines I get one version which has the image line of code in it and one which doesn't. It would appear that somehow the line of code which references the image and the link is being removed when it hits the client mcahine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back