Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 needs to close due to error when I try to type a URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

hank55

Technical User
Mar 12, 2002
US
I'm using WinXP Pro and recently, it seems that whenever I try to type a URL into the address bar of IE6, I get an error message that IE6 needs to shutdown due to an internal error, and it shuts down. Opening the details window shows a problem with iexplore.exe, wininet.dll, and or wbhook32.dll. Restarting IE6 results in the same error each time. If I reboot, usually the problem either doesn't repeat, or at least not immediately. The same shutdown error occurs if I try to enter a search word into my Google toolbar address window. The Google toolbar has been installed on my PC since before WinXP.
Any ideas?

hank55,

you're not alone! The culprit seems to be IE. Also Morpheus - once I renamed bpboh.dll bpbohold.dll, the problem disappeared! Finally, this situation started about a couple of weeks ago. Prior to the middle of the month, noone had mentioned it.

For Win98, the dlls in question are all under c:\windows\system. Provided the cabs are installed in the hard drive (usually c:\windows\options\cabs), type under MS-DOS extract /a base4.cab libraryname.dll /L c:\windows\system. It can also be extracted from the CD, however, it is more manageable from the HD. This routine looks up the libraryname.dll file, ie. wininet.dll,under all cabs starting with base4.cab and extract it to the c:\windows\system file. Do this with all the usual suspects and see if it helps.

Also, try repairing IE. For Win98, go to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs|Install/Unistall window, scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, double click, select Repair Internet Explorer|OK. Once finished, reboot.

Finally, have all the security patches/upgrades installed in your system. Be patient and have plenty of time to spare. It will not happen overnight! Let me know if it helps!

For XP, if anyone has any idea how to do all these or more, your input is welcome!

Happy trails! [morning]

hank,

I realize this doesn't say IE6, but it still may help:

Try here:
Error MessageTyping Address in Address Box or in Open Box (Q221085)

To see if it's related to the Google Bar, go to Toos>Internet options, click the advanced tab and temporarily check "disable third party browser extensions".
Shutdown and restart. Same errors?

reghakr

MickeyRed seem to be on the right track with Morpheus. I'm using KaZaA and the problem only seems to occur (now that I'm watching) when KaZaA is loaded. Even if I unload KaZaA (totally), the problem seems to go away based on a few tries. I'll keep watching, but the problem seems to be a P2P bug with KaZaA and I will report it to them.

Hank

KaZaA contains "spyware". That could be your problem. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

guys,

following nobrain's I ran Lavasoft's Ad Aware (free download)

and found no instance of KaZaa spyware. If you find one using a different sniffer, let me know. Also, Hank55, try Start|Find|Files or Folders, type in "bpboh.dll" (no quotes), in "Look in" select your hard drive (default is C) and hit "Find now". If you find this dll, R-click on it, select "Rename", change to bpbohold.dll, OK. Reload, check to see if this problem happens again, and keep us posted!

Happy trails! [peace]

Mickeyred and guys

I did a search and tried to find if I had bpboh.dll before my last post and I came up empty. I don't know about the spyware, (wouldn't surprise me) but, I thought that spyware usually works without breaking things to be effective and inconspicuous.
I've been using McAfee for as long as I can remember (15 years?)on all my PC's (5) and never had a problem with the product.
The only new thing is KaZaA and the more I "test" it, the more certain I am that KaZaA is the problem. If I restart my PC without KaZaA running, IE and Google never has a problem. As soon as I start KaZaA, and even close it completely, it's like a crap shoot - sometimes IE shuts down immediately when I use the addressbar, other times it works OK for a short while and then refuses address inputs, and shuts down. At this point only a reboot (and NO KaZaA) will fix it
Hank

I would un-install KaZaa and use Winmx works great and is very professional looking. It also contains no spyware. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Just a follow up: after updating the Ad Aware 5.7 files (877kB freeware, and rescanning the hard drive, it did show that spyware (from doubleclick) was indeed lurking deep within. And before KaZaa, no spyware had been detected! Nobrain's suggestion is a very good one: yank the K.

[peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back