Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 keeps changing the font size

Status
Not open for further replies.

weberm

Programmer
Dec 23, 2002
US
I use IE6 with Win XP and noticed that on occasion the font size ratchets down a notch on its own, forcing me to select View|Text Size|Medium from the menu bar to fix it. It didn't used to do this and I don't see any pattern to this behavior. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening and more importantly, how to lock the text size at "medium"?

Perhaps someone is inadvertantly holding the CRTL key & scrolling the mouse wheel?

smah said:
Perhaps someone is inadvertantly holding the CRTL key & scrolling the mouse wheel?
I have mouse with a wheel on it but I'm not sure if I'm touching the CTRL key when it happens.

Next time it happens, why not make sure you are not?

That aside, you might be able to lock the font size by using a user-override CSS file and specifying a font size in PX, something like:

Code:
html body * {
   font-size: 16px !important;
}

Of course, the problem with that is that ALL text (including headings, footers, navigation, etc) will appear at that font size.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

BillyRayPreachersSon said:
Next time it happens, why not make sure you are not?
I did, and it's not caused by inadvertantly holding the CRTL key & scrolling the mouse wheel. For one thing, doing that prevents the browser from going to another page and another, scrolling down increases the font font size. What's happening to me is I'll navigate to a page and notice that the font seems small. When I select select View|Text Size, I'll notice the size has been ratched down a size. Is it possible that I'm visiting a web site with a persistant CSS font setting? If so, why would it only work on this one particular PC? [ponder]

weberm:
I had a similar problem, when I read an e-mail in Outlook and then opened IE6 the font would be one size smaller and I had to keep adjusting it back up.

The registry key it was changing was here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\Scripts\3 "IEFontSize"
It kept changing from 03 00 00 00 to 02 00 00 00

In Outlook 2002 I went to Tools/Options/Mail Format/
Fonts/International Fonts/Font Size and changed that to a larger size. That stopped IE from reducing my font size.

I'm not sure if this is your exact problem but it drove me nuts until I got it solved. Maybe something along these lines is what is happening to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back