Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 Error/Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petzl

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
AU
I am getting the following error: "an activex control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of this page. Do you want to allow this interaction?". I had remove quite a few programs off my machine but have not done much other than that. Several of these messages popup on each webpage I go to which is obviously very annoying. I say no to each and experimented by saying yes to one, but no flood of email or anything you would equated to a virus. Virus defs are up to date & NAV indicates no issues. I could change the settings to no prompt but that does not address the issue. I d/l cumulative security patch for IE6 but still get the errors....any suggestions???

If it helps, I found some info re comcat.dll issues related to this error. I have v4.71.1460.1 in the System foldr and v5.0.2600.1 in System32 folder. If this is the issue, can u un-register and then copy dll's and register or does it require an re-install of IE6??? Why would this issue have occurred in the first place???

OK...I had one more frustrated bash for it and resolved the issue. I am posting this for anyone that would like to know the resolution. It disturbed me that my homepage had also changed mysteriously in this process. I ended up updating Ad-award to version 6 and I noticed it discovered lop.com in the registry. Removal of the offending items and resetting IE Security to defaults has the machine working smoothly again.

I keep getting a "Virus Identified--Win32/hantaner", etc. message from my AVG anti-virus program. AVG further instructs me to run a full test. I have run the test several times but it fails to find any virus. Any explanations or suggestions are welcome????? Thanks inadvance.

Al Wilson

You picked up a virus using Kazaa (most likely)...place is full of bugs, so if you hang out there, best keep your guard up. Do a google search on Win32/Hantaner and read up...

Carr,

Thanks. In the interim I was able to get things straightened out (finally). Thanks to you and Kimber for all your help with this problem.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back