Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 and 100% CPU Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

COMPMICRO

Vendor
Jan 16, 2003
CA
Suddenly, 2 days ago, browsing became painfully slow. I have a 144 DSL connection. I have ran connection/speed/
throughput tests , all ok. After a browser window opens, as soon as I click a link on a page my CPU utilization goes through the roof, from app 8-10% to 100% and everything grinds to almost a stop till the page is fully loaded, then the utilization goues right back down until I click again. Any ideas out there? I have scanned for viruses in safe mode w/NAV2003. Also Spybot and Adaware show nothing. Also I clean temp files and cookies every day, and no new s/w installed.

What process is using the CPU when this happens? Task manager should show the process.

It is the iexplore.exe process that shoots up to almost 100% till a page finishes loading

I just tried that, but it kinda didnt make sense that it would fix it because it was working fine for many months, then Bam, now it doesnt.

Not to argue the point, but it makes sense to Microsoft:
Quote: "If you raise the connection limit per server, you can delay the problem. The problem occurs because Internet Explorer may occasionally lose HTTP connections internally. Because 2 is the standard connection limit for HTTP 1.1, the problem occurs later if you raise the connection limit."

You might consider running a test to see if somehow your MTU or RWIN values were reset. The best way to test this is from BroadbandReports, run their tweak test. You can adjust the settings with the tool you downloaded. Please note that any adjustments apply only after you have rebooted your machine, as they are registry entries that are only read on startup.

To test:

I have done both the connection limit change, and I checked the MTU and Rwwin settings again, both OK.

Bcastner,
Thanks very much for your help. I figured it out. It was an option in IE to "Enable 3rd party browser extensions" that was checked. Once I cleared it, it was back to normal. I really appreciate your response and time!
Merrill

Let me note that if you want to use Google Toolbar or other "legitimate" Third-Party Extensions to IE, you will have to re-enable this in Internet Options, Advanced.

It would profit you to run the "Troubleshooting Trinity" as I call it, to get rid of any possible malware, worm, trojan or worse that may have "hijacled" the IE Browser extension facility.

In order, download and run:

AdAware 6 (update the definitions from within the program)
SpyBot 1.2 (same advice as above)
Hijack This!

You likely do not need to run all three. Enable the Third-Party Extensions under IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, and then exit IE.

Run the first and/or second, testing each time to see if the CPU utilization problem goes away. I would expect after running the first two, you should be good to go.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back