Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 Adobe Acrobat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

martlets

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2001
GB
I have to open Acrobat manually. IE6 used to find and open it automatically. Any answers gratefully received.

If you download a PDF file from the net, are you prompted to save it by adobe (you get a Save message titled Acrobat)? If so, load acrobat reader, go to edit -> preferences -> Options and ensure "Display PDF in Browser" is ticked.

John

Many thanks for your prompt response.

I have checked the box, but still have error message "unable to find acrobat reader".

Do I need to reboot, perhaps?

RDK

Hi,

If you are still having problems I would uninstall, reboot then reinstall acrobat reader.

John

You have to reboot. You would think the association change should be immediate. But for some reason you have to reboot.

Still no luck. I think I will have to call Adobe!

Thanks for your kind help. I will publish if and when it is fixed!

RDK

Check the Association entry for .PDF

In Explorer, (not IE), Tools, Folder Options, File Types, scroll down until you see the type PDF

In the bottom window you can change the viewer file associated with a file type. Click that, and browse to find the adobe 6 executible file in \program files\adobe

Highlight it and apply the change.

Still no joy. I tried to paste a screen shot, but could not.

The full text is:

"Adobe plug-in:

could not find acrobat reader"

Does Acrobat reader load if you double click a PDF file from explorer?

John

Nothing worked, so I removed all Adobe programs, even Palm reader etc! I then re-installed Adobe 5.0.5 only and all is well again!

Many thanks for your patience.

RDK

If it helps any, I think version 6 can be made to work for you:

1. Uninstall 5.05
2. Uninstall the Reader and eReader if used from Version 5
3. Uninstall if you have not version 6
4. Install 6

If you note carefully the second link I gave you above, that is essentially Adobe's answer as to how to solve problems with a Reader 6 install and IE.

Oh, and reboot.

As Adbobe points out in the second link, there are a lot of registry changes made during the install that are only read on startup.

OK I will give it a go when I pluck up enough courage.

Thanks again

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back