Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE5 Window half-hidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisas

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
I'm not sure you would classify this as a Win95 issue or an IE issue, but I'm having a problem with the window when I use IE5.0. When the window is maximized, the right side of it is partially hidden. I can barely see the vertical scroll bar or the exit button at the top right of the page. I uninstalled IE5 and reintalled it to no avail. This is the only program I'm having this problem with. I checked the display settings, and that doesn't seem to do it. Any suggestions?

Yes. With the window open, hit Alt-spacebar (at the same time). Select Move from the little menu that pops up and user your mouse or keyboard arrow keys to bring the screen to the left and/or down. Close IE5. When you reopen it, the window should be where you left it when you closed it. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work, though, because they've had other problems with the IE5 window that they haven't fixed. Good luck, tho.

When I do this, the Move option is grayed out. What I've done so far is taken the maximization off then stretched the window to almost the full screen. Sort of a patch, but at least I can use the scroll bar. Thanks.

There is another method to overcome this problem. Press F11 to get full screen and you will find that IE5 centralizes and you get full access to everything.<br>
<br>
Still if someone can tell me how to change the grayed out move option as stated above then there would be no problem. Hope this is of help to other right-wingers.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
tarquine

I had the same problem with IE5's window only being 1/4 visible. This happened after using FrontPage98's Preview in Browser option from FP Explorer. I selected the 1024x768 option (larger than my 800x600 display) and the problem ensued. I experienced the exact same symptoms you experienced - no move option, lost most of my display, etc. The only thing that cured it was to go back into FP, do the same preview, only this time I selected 800x600 (the same as my display) an viola, back to normal.<br>
<br>
Do you also use FP or has anyone else experienced this?

No, I don't use Front Page. (and my display is set at 800x600) I've just manually adjusted my window for now, and I'll occasionally use the Full Screen option. I&quot;m getting ready to blow away my PC and upgrade it to NT. After I reinstall all the software, I&quot;ll see if it still has the problem. Thanks.

I have managed to overcome my problem with IE5 window being half-hidden. How I did it I am not totally sure but here goes:<br>
<br>
1. Right click on the toolbar and selected it to stay on top. That makes the next part easier to do:)<br>
<br>
2. Then with IE5 open up against the right-hand side of the desktop, right click on the IE5 Button on the toolbar.<br>
<br>
3. Press ALT-Space to get the menu up.<br>
<br>
4. Use the curser keys to hightlight MOVE and press return.<br>
<br>
5. Use the four directional cursor to move the window to where you need it. Press Return to finish.<br>
<br>
I had to do this twice before it worked.<br>
<br>
I cannot claim to be the brains behind this trick for that you need to thank Martin Hooper and a few others on the PC Plus Forum for that but I hope it works for you.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Tarquine<br>

I've seen this as a problem with the Start bar. I stretched the start bar full open, then full close, then to normal one line and the IE window was back to normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back