Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE5 downloading fails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreasbuykx

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
NL
Hi,

I run IE5.0 and since a few weeks I run into trouble when I want to download a file (I must have screwed something up while cleaning up my system). Instead of the well known download-progress popup, I get a small 'icon' in the middle of the web page, showing something like a broken QuickTime 'Q'. In the meantime, downloading actually occurs as I can see from the dialup connection popup, but I cannot find the downloaded file anywhere on disk.

I tried to repair IE5 using the repair feature from the control panel->software item. Then I reinstalled IE5 from CD-ROM. And now, I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andreas

My first rec would be to get rid of 5.0 and upgrade to IE 6.0, but...let's try and solve your problem. The easiest course of action in your case is going to be:
Uninstall Quicktime. This prog is a real pain in the &^%*& when it decides to be, or when you booger it up by deleting parts of it inadvertently. (See if it will uninstall using Add/Remove Programs.) If it uninstalls, try your scenario without Quicktime on your machine and post back with results.

Hi,

I removed QuickTime, and now I get a popup about a missing object handler for application/octet-stream. I guess this indicates my MIME settings are incorrect, but I don't know how to fix this.

Could anyone help me further with this?

Thanks,
Andreas

i'm sorry no body was able to answer your question . its simply a matter of wrong mime type.. your description tells that you are downloading a media file & that file is opening directly from the side instead of being downloaded to your computer, check whether that file is downloadable or not , these days some of the media files on the net can only be accessed from the site...but can not be downloaded.. as far as correcting your mime setting .. its very simple...open my computer ...go to the TOOLS TAB..Then FOLDER OPTIONS....Select file types.....there you will find description of files and their associated programs..check the extension of the file you are downloading fox ex. if it is xyz.mp3 then seearch or the extension mp3.. select MP3 ...then at the bottom you will fine CHANGE tab click on it here you can define the new program ...with which you would like to open your file

Hi all,

Removing the registry key as indicated in the Microsoft knowledge base article referenced by carr did the trick. Thanks for your help!

Andreas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back