Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE5.5 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've messed up explorer somehow. On some web sites. when i click on a link, it'll just sit there doing nothing, the ie logo spinning. But if i hit stop, then refresh, it'll continue to it's destination. Ive set security controls to high, medium and low with no success, This started a month ago. Also tried fix ie from msinfo32.

Try clearing your history and dump your temp internet files. You can do this through control panel off line. If you do it online you need to close your browser after and restart your browser for it to take effect.

Personally I hate IE6. I've had nothing but problems with it. On top of which it sends a heartbeat to microsoft telling them every site you go to and have been to. Are you using IE5.5 SP2? If you don't have SP2 I suggest updating that first. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

how do you know that IE6 sends this "heartbeat" to MS??
this sounds a little impossible, if you consider how many pc's are online and how many billions of websites get visited, what would MS do with all this data, and why would you care who knows what sites you go to?
another way to fix IE 5 is to go to add remove programs.
while you cannot remove it, if you try to you will get a wizard that will allow you to repair it...it may ask you for your win98 installation disc. good luck...

Your information about Smart Tags is old.

NOTE: The second Public Preview release of Internet Explorer 6 (version 6.00.2479.0006) included Advanced options to Enable Smart tags and Show Office XP smart tags. Smart tags were removed from the final released versions of Internet Explorer 6 based on customer feedback.

On the question, sometimes the download gets interrupted, particularly for a big site. Doesn't happen to me every time, just usually when the ISP connection isn't very good.

Interesting Phil thank you for the info. Well...the fact that MS has hidden files that you can't even see in Windows Explorer (can only be found in DOS) makes it hard to believe they aren't tracking people's activities still. I guess it really depends on personal preference. We were going to implement IE6 and ran into many many many compatibility issues. We ended up sticking with IE5.5 SP2. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back