Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE4 on Win98 Second Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasony

Programmer
Jan 13, 1999
US
Visit site
Is it possible to run IE4 on Win 98 Second Edition. I run into problems with IE5 on my NT (server) machine, and just assume use 4 on my 98. Is it possible.

Yes it is possible to run IE4 on Win98 2nd edition. After you install IE4, I suggest that update IE to Service Pack 2. I don't see why IE5 will give you problems. What sort of problems are you having. Make sure you are at least at Service Pack 4 on your NT machine.<br>
<br>
Best of Luck <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I'm ok with sp4 and all that stuff on NT, but IE5 will take images now and then, and put them up in the nav bar of the browser. so i'll have an image covering the buttons and such. it's strange. <br>
With WIN98SE,IE5 installs automatically, and in &quot;add/remove programs&quot; there is no option to remove it. There are threads about IE4/IE5 kind of addressing this, but nothing really says that it is as simple as deleting the IE5 and installing IE4. That's why I was curious. I may just have to live with 5.<br>
Thanks,

I recall my previous comments. I read an article this morning stating stating that if you want to run IE4.0 you must not use Win98SE <br>
<br>
Below is an excerpt:<br>
<br>
"Internet Explorer 5 (IE5) is the latest generation of Microsoft's popular Web browser. The original Windows 98 included IE4 and now the Second Edition comes integrated with IE5. <br>
<br>
IE5 is definitely worth getting if you haven't already done so. Features like autocomplete of forms and Web addresses plus faster page display is worth the upgrade alone. <br>
<br>
Outlook Express v5 e-mail and newsreader also comes as an optional extra with Windows 98 SE. <br>
<br>
If you have to run an earlier version of IE for some reason (like an enforced corporate standard) then you can't install or upgrade to Windows 98 Second Edition. IE5 is installed with Win98 SE and there's no option to stop it. <br>
<br>
For the technically minded the IE5 supplied with SE is build 5.00.2614.3500 (check the Help ¦ About screen in the browser for the build number"<br>
<br>
Bets bet is to keep or get an original Win98 and apply Service Pack 1. Or better yet purcahse Win2000 in Feb.<br>
<br>

I figured that was the case, being stuck with it. no big deal i guess.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the input.

Your browser problem is almost certainly a video driver problem/conflict. Go to the card's vendor and upgrade to newer video drivers. IE 4, and especially IE5, are both sensitive to video problems, more than any other program I have seen to date. 1 driver revision higher than you already have may solve it, especially on newer cards. On my work PC, I have an old Trio 3d, which hasn;t had new drivers buit by S3 since early 1998, but can't justify the upgrade cost when Y2K is so close...

You better believe that they are video card sensitive, I've had to add lines of code in the config.sys on so many systems. Before I had done this, the user was unable to scroll in IE without causing the computer to lockup. <p>Chris DeLima<br><a href=mailto:chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com>chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

IE5 is built into win98. According to microsoft it is not removable. But there are certain programs that can remove it. I'm not sure there is anything like that for IE4 but Revenge of Mozzila IIse replaces it with Netscape. And although I've heard it's not as exact in it's workings so is a program called Win98lite.<br>
If this machine is important don't mess with it but if you can play around and don't mind reinstalling why not try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back