Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Window opens by itself - Where do i look? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptnJon

Technical User
Oct 4, 2005
CA
Recently, my computer has IE windows opening by themselves with the url of
This doesn't happen on a boot but seems to happen when the computer is idle! When I got on to my computer a few minutes for the 1st time today there were 6 instances of IE open with the same url! (Each one gets the message "Cannot find server") Where would I look to find out where this is being started from?

I have run CWShredder, SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Giant's AntiSpyware, Trend Micro's Housecall and Panda's ActiveScan but the problem persists!

Any thoughts?

Search for that URL in the Registry, see what it turns up.

Perhaps a visit here will get you going in the right direction.

Removing adware & spyware
How to beat your advertising popups & other browser nasties
FAQ608-3482

Removing adware & spyware
Before Posting a Hi-jack log file - Best Practices
FAQ608-4650

Make sure your options in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced are correct.

Uncheck the boxes for "Install on Demand" for IE and Other programs (two boxes).

Try running temporarily with the third box "Enable Third Party Browser Extensions" unchecked and see how this goes.

"This specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve, you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off."

If that stops your errors, you will know where the trouble is.

This article and the program BHOcop might be useful to you.

Try running the Disk Cleanup program and clean out your Temporary Internet Files and other Temp folders.

is it on a network? this used to happen to me on my desk top. the desk top shared it's internet connection with a laptop. the laptop could share desktop's connection and also could launch it's own dialup internet connection. so, whenever the laptop wanted to connected to internet, it launced internet connection on the desktop. that's why i'm asking if this is on a network.

A few responses...

linney... I searched the Registry and found nothing... tried the other tweaks on the IE options but no success.

erikhertzel... thanks for the link to Webroot Spysweeper. I downloaded it and it seemd to do the trick!!

jessicatechy... I am on a home network but the other computers were inactive. I am not sure I understand the network setup you are referring to because I can't see how one of my networked computers could launch an IE instance on one of the other computers! Regradless... it appears that this wasn't the problem because it seems to be now solved... see above.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back