Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE upgrade failed, now Windows won't boot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy75

Technical User
Aug 24, 2001
US
I was upgrading my IE 5.5 to IE 6 last night through the Windows Update website. All the files downloaded fine, but the install hung at 76%. I crossed my fingers and rebooted the computer. It booted fine, I logged in, it made the "sound", and showed my desktop background, but that's it! No icons, no taskbar, nothing. I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager, and the only thing loaded is "nprotect", which I assume is something Norton. No Explorer, no Systray, nothing.

So I've messed it up good, apparently. Is a re-install required, or is there any way I can manually replace some critical system file from DOS to get it working again?

I'm very stressed out about this. Thanks in advance for your help.

--Ryan

I've never run a new task from the task manager in ME. There are buttons for "End Task", "Shut Down", and "Cancel". Is there a keyboard shortcut I can use? Thanks for your help.

--Ryan

See if the machine will boot in safe mode. If it will then do a restore on your machine.

Safe mode is F8, right? I'll try it, but I don't have much hope for it, because I can't even get into the BIOS setup like I'm supposed to be able to. :-( I think Dell will have to answer to that one...

--Ryan

You have 3 seconds from the time the blue logo screen comes up to press either F2 or F8 depending on your Dell.

if you have a DELL which I do, call Dell Technical Support
1-800-847-4096
free call
they will help
have your service tag number and express service code number ready, found on side of computer.

But B4 you do that try this,
press F8 get into dos mode, then type:
C:\SCANREG /RESTORE
restore to a date before you installed IE-6

IE-6 completely screwed my comp when I un-installed it, and I had to re-install windows

PLEASE REFER TO MY OTHER POST TO "BLUE SCREEN" IN THIS FORUM TO SEE HOW TO INSTALL WINDOWS. It will save you waiting 1 hour on hold for Dell Tech Support

Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back