Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Titlebar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhowes

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2001
ZA
Hi All

Since the release of XP service pack 1, chromeless windows are no longer possible, so now I am trying to see how much control I have over the standard titlebar.

I can change the title with:

document.title = "xyz";

I have a few questions though:

Can I get rid of the "Microsoft Internet Explorer" text that gets appended?
Can I change the icon on the left (the 'e' in a page)?
Is there anything else I can control?

Thanks all.
Cheers

Richard
(Johannesburg, South Africa)

>Can I get rid of the "Microsoft Internet Explorer" text that gets appended?
No, you can only do that by editing the registry

>Is there anything else I can control?
If you can put a file on the user's computer, you can create a chromeless window using hta files. There's one problem in that hta files don't have a status bar.
If you open a new window, you can open it in fullscreen mode which will not have any buttons. Alternatively, you can hide everything except the title bar at the top with the minimize and close buttons and the page name etc....

Chromeless using fullscreen: Using window.open to customize a new window:

P.S.
You cannot change the title with document.title in other browsers.

You can do what Kevin said, use a pop-up and in the pop-up code add fullscreen. Then in the new pop-up you can have a chromeless window, it will need to be resized but it will work.

Opening fullscreen windows without users permission is one of the most annoying thing on the web these days.
As for me, it's the last time I visit such a site if I see this.

In order to make the "Microsoft Internet Explorer" string not visible, you can add & nbsp ;& nbsp ;& nbsp ; after the title (remove spaces). But why should you do this?

By the way, it's not just IE thing, every browser does the same. But some of them behave differently. For example, my lovely Opera shows "Opera" word before the page title. So I don't see any reason to change this default behaviour.

Opening full screen would be anoying unless the user gave you permission, but you can fix that. Just do it like this:

var new_win = window.open(....);
new_win.resizeTo(800,600);

Rick

P.S. faq215-2087 has info about all you can customize and how to do so.

Hi All

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. Perhaps I should have provided more detail :)

We are developing a web-based (HTML/JavaScript/PHP) application (not a web site) using standard browser stuff (i.e. no Java etc.) as the client GUI. We are currently using chromleess popup windows when you click buttons, for example to set report printing options (we don't open them unasked - but remember this is a application not a web site).

As of XP and Service Pack 1 chromeless windows do not work, period. Microsoft claim there are a security risk because you could open one over a "do you want to install thie activeX control?" message.

Chromeless windows were a cheat - opening a window full-screen and then resizing - you can no longer resize a full-screen window on XP with SP1.

So my beautiful popups (with no chrome) are now history and I have to re-engineer my app - mainly in the look-and-feel department. My question was because I just dont like the "- Microsoft Internet Explorer" because it just looks like clutter in a small popup window.

Regards
Richard

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the link.

I was using this at one stage, but since the chromeless windows thing doesn't work any more I think I am going to use this opportunity to go standards compliant on my application. I am getting more and more uncomfortable with the licence changes in MS products and do not want to be tied exclusively to IE any more.

It's good practice in web development anyway.

Thanks again.
Regards

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back