Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE taking over my hyperlinks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davisonpro

Programmer
Oct 11, 2010
US
I've been using the same hyperlink labels and buttons for a couple of years now in my VFP9 app - no changes to them and no need to change them. Suddenly, and unexpectedly, they are launching MS Internet Explorer even though IE is not now and has never been the default browser.
Oddly, it does not happen on every PC (they are all running Win7 64 Pro) but on the PCs where it happens, it happens every time.
I've been poking around everywhere I can think to look in the registry and the settings. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and Chrome and set them to be the default browser and they work in every other application - except any VFP app.
My guess is that some Windows update created this problem but it's just a guess because I can't find any other reason. I have lots of complaints from clients - about 20 out of 1,500 installations but some wouldn't notice because some use IE as their default browser anyway. I have 4 test machines here in my office and it happens on 3 of them but not the 4th.

I'm probably missing something simple and stupid but I'm tired of working on this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Al

Found it! In the Windows Registry - something had changed this entry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\ddeexec\Application

That's what the _hyperlink class uses in the procedure (forgot the name) that gets the default browser.

The entry had been written to have the value of "IExplorer" - as soon as I deleted the value in the Registry entry (made it blank or null), all was well again.

No idea what wrote that entry but at least I know where to look now.

Al

Davisonpro:

Thanks for posting this. "Internet Explorer" a.k.a "Virus Loader" isn't my browser of choice. This was driving me crazy too and your fix was dead-on for me. I'm pretty sure a UPS Worldship update made the change on my system, but I can't be sure. Thanks again.

Dil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back