Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE takes forever 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorserver

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2003
US
Could you guys help me out? I can't find whats making my IE take so damn long to open. It can either be a "open in new window" link or a fresh start of the browser it's self. I have deleted cookies, temp files, objects, restored defaults ect. This machine is XP pro and everything else works great! I have a 1.5mbps dsl connection that ROCKS! I just can't find out why it takes so long to open a browser window (10-20 secs). I've looked in this forum and on microsoft.com to no avail. I know i'm just missinf it. Thanks you guys. "Sure, I'll fix it!.... That's what you're here for"...

Try these as possible fixes, I just ran across them recently...
1) If you've got a network adapter on board, disable it via Device Manager and see if problem persists...

2) Browse via regedit to the following point:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace

Highlight and delete this value:
D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF

(Standard disclaimer: If you're not familiar with working in the registry, best stay out of it. If you are, best to make a backup before chopping away. If you're like me, well, you go in without a backup and sometimes have to pay hell as a consequence [thumbsup2])

The value you're deleting is a "bug" that looks for shared files and folders, whether you're on a network or not. It can be responsible for "hangs" of intermittent length.

As always, post back after these don't work so we can plumb even deeper in search of a solution....

Please can you give me an example of an network adapter. How do I know which of mines are in use? How do I know which ones can be disabled. I have a home network between two computers.

Thanks

thanks, carr i'll try it next time i go over to his house.
"Jack of all trades. Master of none."

goodwork,

Right click on MyComputer, select Properties, go to the Device Manager tab. Look down at Network Adapters, double click Network Adapters. Those on your machine will be indicated and the option to disable them, rather than remove them, will be on their General tab, which you can see when you right click each adapter and select Properties.

Thanks carr. I knew how to disable them, but I am asking...what ones to disable...

I have 5 network adapters present: -

Dial-up adapter
Dial-up adapter#2 (VPN support)
Internet connection sharing
Microsoft Virtual Private networking adapter
Realtek RTL.....(AS)....PCI ethernet NIC

so what ones should I disable?

thanks in advance

get rid of dail-up adaptor#2 and microsoft VPN. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Thanks interNETech,
Missed the post....but yes, those are the ones to start with.

Thanks a lot

My internet performance seemed to have improved a little, but there is still a bit of "hanging"

I have an observation that might help... When I run Task Manager and watch the processes as I open Internet Explorer, nothing much seems to happen for the first ten seconds. System Idle Process stays in the 70%+ range and when activity does start, my installed MacShield jumps in to take 60% for a second or two, the IE gets going but never commands the most processing resources (as measured by watching the CPU column). I've always wondered why System Idle takes up so much processing when there are other processes wanting the CPU's attention.

Anyway, could this be a pointer to the problem? I'm now waiting at least twent seconds for IE to start up each time I run it. My surfing is plenty fast once I have an IE window up... (This is really ridiculous because I have another machine with XP SP-1 on it that does not have this problem...)

Ok. I ran across this forum in a desperate attempt to find out why IE was hanging. I had tried everything except removing the key from the registry in the namespace and using adaware. I used ad-aware and it removed all sorts of crap. Make sure to update the adaware before scanning, this will help tremendously. Once all the junk is found and then deleted, IE was back to its original state. Whew. I've been working on this thing for hours and finally found this forum. Thanks for the tips.

Slavoy -- to be sure I understand you -- which action(s) do you think solved the hang problem?

Running Ad-Aware. I don't gather that slavoy had to resort to the registry hack.

carr,

This registry hack:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace

Highlight and delete this value:
D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF

Is benign, not a "bug" and has nothing to do with IE.

It works fine in speeding up the browsing of network shares, but has nothing to do with IE.

I won't go back and forth with you on this.
The users can try it, or not, and make their own judgement(s).

Fortunately this registry change is benign, as I stated above. But the existence of this hack widely on Google does not make it a "fact" as you first allege, and the popularity of the hack has little to do with whether it does anything useful.

As I said originally, the registry change affects browsing of network shares in a SMB network. For IE and internet browsing it does nothing. It is an "Internet Myth", and joins the equally mythical "increase your bandwidth" by removing QoS reservations by altering its service entries.

Fact: IE launched with a registry monitor shows the key never accessed;

Fact: IE launched with a process monitor active shows the CLISD "mstask.dll" never called;

Fact: It is in a portion of the registry used to define CIM interfaces for Windows Explorer by specifying additional Namespaces for WMI objects. This is irrelevant to IE browsing.

There are a lot of changes one can find with Google, but the purpose of a Technical Forum is to seperate the wheat from the chaff of them all, among other purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back