Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE starts with windows then goes missing ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbflip2003

IS-IT--Management
May 8, 2005
GB
Hi,
I have a small problem with my friend’s internet explorer, when the computer boots up that is all fine you login and every thing looks fine i.e. start button, desktop shortcuts. But when all the drivers have loaded the screen goes blank all you see is the desktop pitcher. So out comes task manager!!! In the 'processes' it is missing so I start it manually and every thing is fine! In safe mode it’s all works fine and in safe mode with networking it all works fine SP2 is installed my friend thinks he opened spyware or something. I have done a spyware test and there were loads of problems but that is all sorted. I think its Norton anit virus because that loads then the screen goes blank and you have a Norton window saying 'Norton running'
But I stopped it on boot but still no fix. Any ideas would be great!! P.S NO jokes about Norton!!! It’s not my computer I just feel that I should make that clear!!

When you say internet explorer is no longer in the processes, do you mean the explorer.exe? If that is true, this is an absolutely essential process that needs to load at startup and stay running or you are going to have alot of these same type of problems. You can make sure this process is going to start and stay that way by going into start>run>msconfig. From here you can adjust your process and what programs run at startup, boot.ini, etc. This is a great little tool. I would check this out first and tell me if that works.

Greg Wilson
RFK Technologies
866 837 1007
"What an Information Technology Business Partner Should Be

Thanks for the reply I did that but no good. I did mean explorer.exe it does start but then goes

Have a look at the Malware removal FAQ and make sure you have performed everything suggested there.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Microsoft (GIANT Antispyware) Beta available
Thread779-979113

Try the free version of "Ewido"

HijackThis log file analysis

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thank you for so much help! when I get the chance to have another look I will try the above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back