Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Security Settings grayed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEI4ever

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
US
I have an XP Pro computer that was built off a RIS image that has been modified so that you cannot change the Internet Options Secuity Settings. It is joined to an Active Directory Domain that I have Domain Admin rights too. I was not the one that created the image but I need to be able to change them on my machine for testing a website I am building. I looked in the registry but wasn't able to find any where to change this. Can anybody help me out on how this was done when the image was created and also how to change it now...

Thanks for the help

Workaround: Open the "Internet Options" applet from Control Panel, or from RUN box "CONTROL INETCPL.CPL"

This is due to the presence of the "NoBrowserOptions" registry key present here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]

Setting the value for NoBrowserOptions to "0" solves the problem.

Automated methods:

Method 1:

If you are using Spybot S&D, disable the option:
"Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE"
[Tip from Mike Burgess, MS-MVP]

Method 2:
"Remove IE Restrictions & Restore Missing tabs". Download the REG fix and double-click it:

This problem can also be caused by parasites. Download Ad-Aware from scan the system and eliminate the parasites. Re-apply the above fix if necessary. Don't forget to update the pattern file using WebUpdate in Ad-Aware. Here are the steps:

1. Start Ad-Aware.
2. Click "Check for Updates", "Connect" and download the latest pattern file if available. and click Finish
3. Click "Start" "Next"
4. After the scan is finished, click "Next"
5. Select all the items (checkboxes)
Right click on any object in the "Scan result" list and choose [Select all objects]
6. Click Next and click OK to confirm removal.

Missing tabs in Internet Options Control Panel

First priority: Download CWShredder and run it.
[or from other URL below]
[Removes all CoolWebSearch hijacker variants and it should restore all the missing tabs]

More Information: To restore missing tabs, open Registry Editor and goto these locations:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ Control Panel]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ Control Panel]

Disable the restrictions by typing the values to "0" for the relevant keys. By trying the manual procedure, you are just making the tabs visible and not removing the parasites. CWShredder is the way to go.

Source: The incredible Ramesh, MVP See:

Bcastner,

Thanks for the reply...This is the first time that I have seen one of your posts not work. Usually you are right on!!I tired everything that you suggested and none of it worked. I tired doing a registry search but The "NoBrowserOptions" entry wasnt there and either was the:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ Control Panel] or
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ Control Panel]

Registry keys...
If you have any other ideas please let me know...thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back