Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ie problems after windows 95 to 98 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

butler

MIS
Oct 12, 1998
US
Greetings group,

I upgraded a pc by installing windows 98 over windows 95. I wanted to keep all of the users existing applications.

But now Internet Explorer does not work. It loads, but I get a page not found error for both internal and external sites. It's strange. TCP/IP is working and set up correctly. I can ping my company web server. DNS is working and name resolution is successful. I can log into our domain controler. All network drive are attached and can be browsed.

The PC had ie5.5 on it when I did the upgrade. I installed ie6 sp1 but that did not help. I tried uninstalling and re-installing tcp/ip. Now I'm out of ideas!

(also note that MS Outlook will run but not send/receive mail. No errors. Mail just sits in the outbox. I suppect the two problems are releated somehow.)

please help!!!

Thanks much everyone,
--bill

Your right, the two problems are related. They both indicate you are not on line. Double check your modem connections and then go to Programs, Accessories, Communications, and run the New Connection Wizard. Unless of course you have a CD which contains the install info for your particular ISP.

Thanks oldcomptrguy,

But no modem here. I'm on a corporate lan/wan. Internet Explorer and tcp/ip is set up correctly and working. Here are some of the other things that I have discovered:

1. I installed Netscape Navigator and it does not work either, so its not ie related.

2. I have a IBM/AIX Unix box. All internal pc's are allowed to telnet to the box. I can ping the unix box, by both ip address and name from the problem pc, but when I try to connect using telnet I get 'could not open a connection to 192.168.0.70.

Something is wrong with IP so that it cannot espablish any type of connection...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like your connection to the Internet is through your LAN (and is probably dedicated - high-speed) right? Have you checked to see whether you can gain access to websites via Internet Explorer by using their IP address in the URL?

For example, should take you to Yahoo. If that works but the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) doesn't, then you may need to replace some WINSOCK components.

If so, I just wrote an FAQ that may help...

faq615-4362

Hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thanks everyone,

The problem did turn out to be a winsock problem. I never realized before that windows networking can function, TCP and PING can function, but higher level services will not work if winsock is bad. I found a great site with a winsock restore/fix for Windows 98 at:

Thanks everyone for your help!
--bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back