Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hefe

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
hello to all,
I have a winxp box and lately its been having some weird problems.
After the computer starts and i log in, internet explorer takes a couple minutes to retrive a page. Also, when i start aol and connect using the lan, it too hangs for a couple minutes. After those first few minutes it works fine and retrives and loads pages lightning fast.
Now the weird part is that it pulls an IP(192.168.1.1) i can ping a public ip(yahoo.com)immidiatley after starting, so there's no actual connectivity issues. I'm assuming that its some sort of software issue. (None of the other computers on the network are having a problem.)
Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Specs - Windows XP Home, office xp, aol, other misc software
802.11g Wireless PCI card to 802.11g router.

Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, scroll down until you see Microsoft Hotfix Q815485, remove it.

Check as well that for the adapter properties you do not have 802.1x authentication enabled.

i appriciate your help, but that didn't work...
and the box is not checked
any other ideas.
thanks

Router Brand and Model?
Adapter brand and Model?

What is odd to me is that I cannot imagine that 192.168.1.1 is a valid IP for you. Did you give the router a high IP, and set the DHCP scope to the lowest possible address range in this subnet?

If you could, post the Gateway, subnet mask, and DNS addresses you see from an IPCONFIG /ALL, or from your Wireless Connection Icon, Status, Support, Details.

router - linksys wrt54g
adapter - matching linksys 802g card

ip - 192.168.1.3
gateway - 192.168.1.1 (router)
mask - 255.255.255.0
dns(public) - 24.52.223.218

but, like i mentioned, it's not a network problem.
a minute ago i installed OPERA (another browser in case your not familiar with it) and it works fine. i can get to a web page as soon as the pc boots.

strange huh....gotta be a software issue...right?

Your ipconfig settings look much better.

Opera is a bit of an unfair comparison, as it makes it a point of pride how fast it loads and browses. It is fairly typical for IE on first launch to do it much more slowly than subsequent launches.

Some things that I believe are worth doing:

1. If Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, the iconic "Set Program Access and Defaults" on the left, click, set to Custom, and expand the details. Set one Browser as the Default. It simplifies you life to make that IE, but no matter what define a default browser.

2. Make certain the firmware on the router is at release 1.30.7. You can check it by clicking this link:
You can obtain the upgrade from here: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

This update will improve your uPnP handling, and the Linksys H.323 NAT Traversal handler.

3. This driver is fully-802.11g compliant: WPC54G Version 1.21, released 6/24/2003. You can obtain this from the Linksys link I gave above.

4. Make sure you have DirectX 9.0b installed. You can check by Start, Run, dxdiag.

5. Remove Hotfix Q811493 unless you are certain you have the newest version of this Hotfix. If uncertain, use Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, scroll down and remove it. Reboot. You can then go to Windows Update and it will prompt to install this Hotfix again. Let it do so, but be certain your AntiVirus software is disabled prior to permitting the installation.

6. Clean your prefetch cache. Delete all the files in c:\windows\prefetch

7. Clean all your temporary Internet Files. Time to clean cookies too.

8. Run Bootvis.exe, available from Microsoft Downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back