Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Pop Up Window Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronte1226

Technical User
Oct 18, 2002
US
My IE browser is not allowing any pop up windows to be loaded. I have checked the settings in the browser which are set to allow them. At one time I had downloaded a small application to limit pop up windows. I got tired of having to select which ones to display and removed it from the system. Now none of my windows will display aside from the original brower that is opened. Can someone please help!?!

Did you make sure you removed the application from Add/Remove Programs as well as deleting any key that refers to that application in your registry? If you do, and then reboot you should not have this problem.

I did remove the program through the add/remove part of the control panel. I was thinking that there might be some fragments left over in the registry. How do I find these?

Not sure if this will help but open the windows folder and see if there's a file called HOSTS with no extension. (not Hosts.sam, leave that one alone) If it's there rename it and then see what happens.

I have this exact same problem. I have tried everything I can think of and everything that has been suggested to me on forums such as this, all to no avail.

Any useful tips would be greatly appreciated.

What pop-up "killer" program were you using?

I am not positive but I think the program was simply called "pop-up stopper" I have completely removed it from my system, so I have nothing to refer to.

I did follow the link that turborob suggested and the first file it said to run loaded OK. Then I got a number of failed attempts. Not sure what these mean, If anyone has an idea please let me know!

Here is the run down on the results I got from each run:

regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll (SUCEEDED) No change from this

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll (FAILED: "The return code was: OX8002801C")

regsvr32 /i msjava.dll (FAILED: "was located but the DllInstall entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered"}

regsvr32 /i actprxy.dll (FAILED: "was located but the DllInstall entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered"}

regsvr32 /i oleaut32.dll (FAILED: "was located but the DllInstall entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered"}

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll (SUCEEDED) No change here either

regsvr32 /i browseul.dll (FAILED: "Specified module could not be found")

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll (SUCEEDED) Again, no change from the success.

I hope someone can help!!

Ok. Have you tried to repair your IE? Or even reinstall via download?
Are you running any Zone Alarm product? If so, disable it and see if that's your fix.
Finally, did you verify that the registry key settings in the Microsoft article provided by turborod were ok. very important to follow all these out to eliminate everything.

You might also try getting this:

This is a neat little freeware utility that really cleans the crap off your system. It looks for even remnants of old programs and allows you to easily clean them for good. It found things in my registry that I would have sworn I'd cleaned out.

how come i don't have any file HOSTS? i just have a file hosts.sam !! AOL Tech

Maybe it is an idea to run regedit and go to
H_L_M\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Restrictions (and a similar key in H_C_U). If NoOpeninNewWnd has been set to 1, change it to 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back