Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE not working but Outlook does

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSutor

MIS
Aug 11, 2004
US
Need some help here! My friend just got a brand new Dell I installed all the updates. When I left the internet was working fine. Now there appears to be some problem with IE. When she opens up IE it says this page can't be displayed. However, her email is working just fine. I went through all the Internet Options and everything seems to be ok! Any one have sugguestion on where else to look???

PS She has a Cable modem and all the software and drivers are correct for it.

Does she have a firewall that might be blocking traffic for IE itself. Example... Norton's NIS might be blocking traffic on Internet Explorer. I have seen this many times at Client's houses that do not know how to work a firewall. A popup might have asked The program Internet Explorer is trying to access the internet and she might have clicked on block attempt. This might have blocked her IE. If this is the case then it only blocks IE and not internet connection which would explain why Outlook still works.

Another possible reason may be to spyware. I would run some spyware removal utilites. This is a good habbit anyway. I use Spybot and Adaware on a very regular basis. I have been spyware free for over a year in my home network ( 6 computers ).
Good luck on her problem and I hope this post helps.

There is no firewall that is blocking access, and I haven't gotten the chance to check it for spyware she is out of town. Thanks for the post sorry it took so long to reply been busy.

thanks
jsutor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back