Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE nor firefox connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpnut

MIS
Aug 27, 2003
I'm not sure what happened but I have tried everything I can think of to fix it. All of a sudden IE7 will not connect to the internet. I know my internet connection is working because I can ping fine in command prompt. I start IE and it just says "connecting" but never does. I installed Firefox and the same thing. I have run sfc /scannow and it completed but nothing changes. Anybody know what to try next?

can you ping any computers on your network?

yes, I can ping the other computers on my network as well as the gateway. And, I can ping the linksys router that serves as my gateway, but I can't log into it.

Also wanted to add that when I log in to safe mode with networking, I AM able to get to the internet. So I'm guessing that it must be something running in the background not allowing me access out. I just can't figure out what it is.

Ok. Just made another discovery. I can't even open an html page that is saved on my local PC. I created a simple html page in notepad and even it won't open. Now I'm really confused.

Until your message, I was thinking there was a problem with your DNS Servers, (you could try an alternative) but now you're leading me me think malware/virus.

See:
Alternative DNS Server:
Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

But you'd need to able to log in to your router. :(

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have run everything you've got listed there but still get the same thing. I did, however, find that if I right-click on iexplorer.exe in Process explorer and choose restart, every so often Internet explorer will connect to the internet and I can browse from site to site without any problems. But if I close IE and then reopen it, I get the same thing. This is definatly one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Ok. Made another discovery that is just as confusing but will hopefully help get a little closer to a fix. Outlook express is doing the EXACT same thing. I won't open, then if I click restart in process explorer (not ever time, sometime have to do it a couple of times) it will work. What might these two have in common that could be causing this? Anybody know, because I'm tapped out.

It's a bit harsh, but certainly sounds warranted in this case... Go to Internet Options, Advanced tab, Reset button.

smah.. that did it. Thank you very much. I reset everything and the same thing happened the first time I tried to open IE and OE, but after that they seem to be working fine. I'm sure there's some sort of reason this happened, but at this point, I don't really care. It's working and that's the important thing. Thanks so much to everyone for your help.

Sorry to say that didn't acutally do it. It seemed to work fine, but when I shutdown and started back up later, the same thing started happening again. I am at a loss... again.

Hmmm, try again. If it works again until reboot, I'd say you probably have a bad spyware infection that is reinstalling itself at bootup. When was the last time that you did some thorough spyware scans? Start with Windows Defender doing a full scan.

Perhaps you could post a "Hijack This" log to see what others can decipher from your running processes?

As Safe Mode With Networking is OK, the next step in eliminating possible causes would be something like the following.

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Have you tried logging on as a different user to see what happens to IE?

I run Spybot and Adaware on a regular basis. I ran both but didn't find anything significant. Everything they found were deleted and didn't show up the next time I ran them. When this started happening I also ran a full system scan with McAfee and it didn't find anything. I just finished running MS Defender and it says nothing was found. Here is my HJT log:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\procexp\procexp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
E:\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolumeControl] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - O16 - DPF: {FD0B6769-6490-4A91-AA0A-B5AE0DC75AC9} (Performance Viewer Activex Control) - O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: MaxSyncService (NTService1) - - C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\SyncServices.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

I have also looked at my MSCONFIG but don't see anything. I take a closer look though.

Is there some way to find out where, exactly IE is failing? Some sort of monitor. I've tried running Filemon but I can't make any sense of it.

Your Hijack This log looks pretty clean to my untrained eye.

Although you have Reset IE7 in the past, have you ever tried it with the No Add-ons setting?

Have you tried the Winsock fixes for XP SP2 mentioned in this thread?

WinXP Connectivity Issues
Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup
faq779-4625

Like Linney mentioned, the LOG is clean...

I noticed two things that may be a problem, one is that your JAVA is out of date (newest version is 6 Update 5) and that you have McAffee installed...

can you deinstall McAffee for a TEST run, to see if it is causing this problem...

see:
also comes to mind, that I had read somewhere that certain PC's have problems when the IPv6 protocol is installed...

to disable the protocol, go to Network Connections, right click the NIC connection (ie. LAN connection or LAN Connection2, etc.) and choose PROPERTIES, a window pops up, there look if there is a CHECK MARK in front of MICROSOFT TCP/IP VERSION 6, uncheck it and click OK... then REBOOT (just to be sure)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back