Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE - must type http:// before site name? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsurikov

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
US
Hello all,

I've run into a bizarre problem with a friend's computer (PC, about 2 years old, WinXP, DSL Internet connection) and Internet Explorer. If I type a Web site name (google.com, into the address box, IE just sits there doing nothing and never connects to the site. If I manually type " before the Web site name ( IE immediately and quickly goes to the Web site.

I initially suspected viruses or spyware, but the computer is running a totally up-to-date Norton Internet Security suite and Spybot; both report a clean computer.

What gives?... I have never had to type " before a Web site name; IE (and Firefox, and any other browser I've used) has always filled in " automatically. In this case, it isn't doing it.

Thanks for any help/insight!

Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Content -> Autocomplete.

Make sure that "Web addresses" is checked. You should be able to just type google and hit CTRL-Enter.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

there was a recent Microsoft Windows update that has affected this... it also affects File>Save As in certain apps... the link below points to the full resulotion.

Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

Jakrabit,
I hate that I can only give you one star for this. That link (which I was not able to find in 5 hours in the knowledge base) fixed a problem that had been driving me right up the wall. Thank you very much.

David

my pleasure...

yes, we were going through the same heartburn the day after the update came out... 2 days later, another lucky google search came up with the solution.

Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back