Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE locks when form textfields filled

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm43

Programmer
Dec 1, 2002
US

Hi, I've been having this problem with IE for the last 2-3 days. The browser just locks up when I enter text in a form textbox in a webpage, and either press the tab key to jump to the next form field, or try to click the form submit button. The mouse cursor disappears, and the browser just stays hanged. i have to force a close on the window, or terminate the process. The problem happens only when I do the above. otherwise, i can roam around freely in the browser. also, it does not happen in Netscape, so the problem is confined to ie only. i had ie 6 sp1. i uninstalled it, and reverted back to ie 5.5, the problem still persisted. I've ran mcrepair.exe , ad-aware and spybot.. the latter two found many spyware files & registry entries, , a couple of even possible bowser hijacking stuff. All were deleted. The problem still remains though..

oh, i've also completely uninstalled & re-installed IE..

Does anyone know what is the cause of this.. Has anyone experienced this problem??

Saad

Did you do the February, 2004 Cumulative Update to IE? You really should.

Please advise.

Thanks for the reply, bcastner. Yeah, I did the update thing; I also uninstalled Google toolbar and installed mcrepair, as suggested on some other forums.

I've successfully fixed the problem...I installed Netscape!

OK; here's the definitive answer: This has caused sleepless nights for the past month. I knew there was an answer. Yes, I tried Netscape and Firefox, but I ran upon web pages which wouldn't load...

Here's the solution (Win98): Go to the c:\windows\system folder and delete the pstores.exe and pstores.log files. Reinstall IE6, restart, and Voila!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back