Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE is really slow when launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

pldua

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
CA
Everytime I launch IE 6.0 from the desktop it takes at least 20 sec or so to launch, I have deleted cookies, temp files but can seem to figure out what is the problem with it. Every other program runs fine. If anybody knows what is seems to the prob. let me know.

Thanks in advance.

There seems to be a lot of issues relevant to this problem. There is a very good thread on the problem in the Browser Forum: thread608-470502

Is this something which has just happened or has it been getting slower as time goes by? Might try Pest Patrol or Adaware, as spyware can slow things down in just a short time.

Re: Repair IE 6

The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4. However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available. You will need to redo any IE Updates too.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)

I have learnt using SFC /Scannow at the command prompt will help in repairing IE.

Running a good Registry Cleaner program through your system may help too. Here's a free one if you cant afford Jv16 Power Tools from

Here's something to try (probably won't make any difference).

Right click on an Internet Explorer shortcut (not on the Desktop one), like the one in the quick launch bar and select properties.

In the Target input field at the end add the switch -nohome (after IEXPLORE.EXE" leave a space) and Apply/ OK.

To add to linney's list, in IE, Tools, Internet Options, clear your temporary storage cache. You might think about the size of this cache as well. 50-80 MB should be sufficient.

Clear your History list.

If you are using a lot of plug-ins, think about whether you really use them.

I have seen a lot of problems with IE taking a long time to load, and it has usually been down to 3rd party browser extensions.

Try turning the option off within ie to see if it resolves your problem.
You can do this from within IE under Tools, internet options, advanced, and remove the tick from "enable third party browser extensions".

If it does help then you need to uninstall the apps one by one to see which extension is causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back