Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Internet Security Zone error

Status
Not open for further replies.

HouDog

Programmer
Aug 14, 2003
CA
Hi All...I hope that someone can help me on this one before I go bald (from pulling my hair out !!)

I recently got infected with adwares and adware trojans. On the advice of a friend I downloaded SpyBot Search & Destroy v1.3. What a mistake that was...since then I have had nothing but problems.

My system is running XP Pro.

Most sites that I now visit give me the error "Your current security settings prohibit..." yada yada yada.

I also get the Privacy Report icon displayed at the bottom of the browser window...in the status bar.

When I go into Internet Options | Security and click on the Internet Zone...I notice that the Custom Level button is greyed out. Clicking the Default Level button shows me that my browser security setting is Medium.

The only way that I can do anything (download, browse) using IE 6 is to set my default level to Low which concerns me a bit. None of my other computers that I use require this.

I have read that I should click "Custom Level" and enable ActiveX...but my Custom Level button is disabled.

I have read postings on other sites that tell me to unregister and re-register a whole bunch of .dll's.

Some postings tell me to register softpub.dll.

Some postings tell me to download and install Macromedia Flash player.

Well, let me just say...that I have tried every conceivable suggestion in trying to fix this problem short of reinstalling my XP Pro.

I have tried to run sfc /scannow but it tells me that my cd is not the right one.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this...can I uninstall IE 6 and re-install without affecting my entire system ??? Or is it a lost cause.

I should mention that I also installed Spybot Search and Destroy on a XP Home System and the same result.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply. I will try this when I get home.
I guess my question would be then...when i uninstalled SpyBot, why did my IE not return to normal function ?

Ok...i solved my problem.

bcastner, i tried what you suggested but it did not work. I also tried to uninstall it again...but to no avail.

After some more surfing, i found this helpful article:

I had to go directly into the registry and modify the "flags=1" entry for Zone 3 (Internet). Somehow, during the course of installing Spybot this value got changed to 2. Setting it back to 1 re-enabled my Custom Level Button and I was fine after that.

Cheers,
JH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back