Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE freezes temporarily when opening pop-up windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptyork

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
This "problem" has plagued me for quite some time, and I'm sure others experience it. The problem is that IE is extremely slow to load pop-up windows, and it seems that until the pop-up window is finished loading, the "calling" window is locked up entirely. This is not a big deal, as it almost always loads, eventually, but now with the advent of pop-up ads, this happens all the time, and is exremely annoying. I've checked to see if there are any strange BHO's and I've tried a few registry hacks found here, but I can't make the problem go away. Is this a hopeless cause (i.e., this is just a "feature" of IE), or is there something that can be done?

Thanks!

I have the same problem, when I close pop ups the full window underneath freezes for a few seconds then I'm able to use it, happens some times if the page is large and often the pop up freezes for a few seconds.

I'v upgrade the browser and have every update but can't figure out how to correct this problem???

I wonder if it has something to do with script debugging.

The script debugger annoyance thingy is installed with msft office, for vba/vbs/js script editing. Its annoying default behaviour is to analyze the scripts of every single page you read on the web. First step to get the script debugger in control is to go to TOOLS,INTERNET OPTIONS,ADVANCED>[X} DISABLE SCRIPT DEBUGGING.

Further steps are to kill the thing from startup and even rename its exe and dll (there is documentation on this, which I could probably find if needed, and offhand my vague memory say maybe one source might have been at the website put together by "PCFORREST").

Actually, I've had the script debugger disabled for quite some time now. Although it does seem to automagically re-enable itself from time to time, it generally stays off. This doesn't seem to be the problem. I have noticed that the problem at least seems to be less exagerrated when my cache has been recently emptied. Could this be a clue?

I made a test which I think you should try:

This will test the time for the browser to generate a new window, please run it and remember to type in the result so that I can contact Microsoft with some data on this issue.

Single browser....WinMe/IE5.5SP2...garden variety PIII/192Mg...Shaw cable

(280 milliseconds average)..
smitee

8-12 browser windows (not sure how many true "instances"). Windows 2000 SP2. IE6.0 (128bit w/ all patches). Dual PIII 667 MHz. 512 MB. Cable connection with very good speed and low latency.

Ran test many times. Avg right at 4000 ms or 4 seconds!!

Cool idea, BTW...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back