Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE font size is too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickyjune26

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
I've read these forums, and I haven't found a solution to getting the font size to be at smaller by default without using another browser tool, such as Eudora.

Anyone have any suggestions? ...couldn't find any registry entries upon a quick scan.

Thanks,

Sopht Solutions

Building Long-Term
IT Relationships. Everyday.

Do you mean something other than View, Text Size ?

Definately. As you probably know, it's on Medium by default.

Sopht Solutions

Building Long-Term

I have another computer that is a 15" flat screen and is showing the fonts really large. The resolution is 1024 by 768 and the browser font is set to smallest.

I only have problems at this one client's site, and it's some sort of setting they changed, but can't figure out what.

Thanks,
Micky

Sopht Solutions

Building Long-Term

some websites use fixed font sizing (e.g. [ignore]<font size=&quot;15px&quot;>[/ignore] instead of [ignore]<font size=&quot;100%&quot;>[/ignore]), which IE cannot resize (although Mozilla and Opera usually can).

This is the web designer's fault. I don't know of a fix for IE for this problem, I'd recommend trying another browser ( or
that said, this may not be the problem. however, if the problem is isolated to a particular site, i'd suspect the web design. if you'd like to post the URL, I'm happy to take a looksy!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I'm going to just get them to start using Opera instead. The only problem will be if I get a client that has a domain that has IE policies. These policies won't be applied to Opera.

Sopht Solutions

Building Long-Term

The above options didn't work for me so I had to resolve my similar problem in the following manner:

System - XP Home version
Problem - HUGE fonts that won't shrink via normal methods.
Fix - Step #1 -- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults option on the left hand side.
Step #2 -- After clicking on Access and Defaults look in the &quot;highlighted&quot; option (in my case it was CUSTOM) for the Java settings and enable them if disabled.

This reset everything to normal and stayed active during testing.

One of my clients is experiencing this problem. He only encounters the problem when visiting the Microsoft Support Page. These fonts are HUGE. One letter want even fit on a page. Can't duplicate the problem on any other site. Problem seems to be confined to his machine, running XP Pro and IE6 SP1. Nothing I've tried so far worked.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
JRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back