Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE downloading problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolakubes

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
Hihi

Seems to me a very common problem whenever im trying to download a number of pages of the net, i ve been browsing thru a picture gallery site with lots of images, and the images are rather large, after say every 200 pictures or so, my IE seems to start playing up, say when i try to right click and "save picture as" , the option boxes dosent appear unless i close a few windows, and then it just kinda degrades from there, normally i start off by opening 12 images at a time, but as i carry on, it just wont let me do that.

I ve tried to do a disk clean up and empty the recycle bin, but the problem is still there unless i reboot, everytime i reboot the problem seems to be back to square 1, after 200 pics or so , the same problem reappears, i have tried this on 3 different win2000 machines , all 3 produces the same result.

My finger is on the memory not flushing itself properly but cant be sure, i was hopin if any1 have come across this problem be4 or know how to resolve it.

Any help is appreciated

Many Thx

Can any1 help me with a bit of suggestions?

I ve tried a few utilities like window washer and memory cleaners, so far it havent made the slightest difference what so ever.

Thx

I've had the same problem before but I changed so many things I don't remember what fixed it.
Make sure you have the latest version of IE. Also, make sure your o/s is updated with all the security patches.
I would go to an online anti-virus site and run a scan. I remember reading a while ago about a virus that had some characteristics like you describe.
If that doesn't work and a format is something you really don't want to do, then I would suggest downloading another browser like opera, and use that for when you are surfing and saving.

Thx six307 , but some of the machines i ve used have all the latest security patches, and some are fresh re-install, also some machines are scanned with AVG & Nortons with the latest updates, so i m ruling out foul play. some machines have 768Mb - 256Mb of memeory. the common thing is Win200 of all these machines.

I m gonna explain exactly what i do each time and what happens...

Ok i goto this website call deviantart and open up say 12 pictures at a time, right click and save picture, close these windows, open up another 12, and so on, when i got to my 180 - 220 pictures, it seems something is eating upthe resources, u cant save the pictures, and if you clcik on start, only 1 or 2 items from the start menu appears, no matter what i ve tried so far like cleaning the offline files, disk clean up, utilities like ram cleaner have proved pointless apart from hitting the reset switch.

This is happeneing to Win2000 with 4 different machine setup at different locations, so i think its a common win2000 problem(for me anyway).

Thx bcastner for the link, but nope , it wasnt that .

Maybe i ll take up six307 advice on using another browser for this hobbie of mines if i cant get this fix, hitting the reset switch every 30 mins is no fun :-(

^_^ nope , i ve increased it to 8 already and still not a sausage . thx for the link anyway bcastner

ok, the start menu thing indicates something is gobbling up your memory. I thought it was just a simple glitch with not being able to save picture as.
Maybe this might be obvious, but I would eliminate all non-essential programs running. I would begin the tedious process of running a program and attempting to create the same glitch. Eventually you should find out what is causing this.
I'd be interested to know what you come up with.
Also, some things to try, are 3rd party memory managers. Try running one of those and see what u come up with.
What about any settings within IE? (seeing as the browser def affects the O/S) Why not even try downloading opera, and using that to see if you can create the same problem. If you can't than you know it def related to IE.
let us know! and good luck ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back