Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE crashing for some users - can I delete a specific profile folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGKWORK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Hi,

On our network we are always encountering issues where users have trouble running certain applications but when you logon to the same PC as a different user it works.

Example: IE7 crashing everytime we click on a specific link but when another user logs on it's fine.

Question: Is there a specific folder in the user profile folder which holds all the relevant settings for IE which I can delete so they can start afresh?

I don't want to delete the entire profile.

Many thanks.

get M$ profile cleanup loaded on the server. Try ATF cleaner and also delete all from IE settings. You can also try and reset IE in the advanced tab. Is there anything loading after the HKLM\soft..\M$.\WinNT\CurrVer\winlogon\userinit.exe.

You can also try HiJackThis.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

When we have issues with a specific user and certain apps (usually Office 2000), we recreate the user's profile. You can do this using following steps.

1. Logon as admin.
2. Go to specific user's profile in following location: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]. Rename it [username_old].
3. Logon as user. This will recreate profile.
4. Logon as admin- copy files (i.e. Desktop, Outlook, My Documents, Favorites) from old profile to new profile.
5. Double-check folder size of files in new profile, delete old profile.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back