Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE connection settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2004
US
We would like to limit internet access to some employees using the connection settings in IE, using a fake proxy address. We do have some internal sites that these employees still need access to. We checked the "bypass proxy for local addresses" and listed several websites in "do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with" fields. If we make these changes to clients on our local subnet everything works. If they are made at one of our remotes sites nothing is worked. Is there a way to correct this?

Systems Administrator
A+, Network+, MCSA 2000, MCSE 2000
MCSA (2003), MCSE 2003, CCNA

The local proxy settings will be ignored over a VPN connection.

they are not connecting over a vpn, they are remotes sites connected through our WAN

Systems Administrator

Then explain to the Forum what "nothing is worked." means.

You do realize the false proxy approach effects everyone who logons to that machine. You do realize that without permission changes an Adminsitrator-level user can disable the changes.

I apologize for not being clear.

We are just trying to stop our users from getting to the internet so in group policy we created a policy that changes proxy settings in IE for our users but used a false proxy. That would stop all internet traffic. I then checked the box to bypass proxy for local addresses and added some exceptions so if trying to visit certain sites the users would not be sent to the proxy.

After making the change they were not able to get to the internet, but the exceptions were not working. Now, if I apply the same policy to me, and I am at corporate, it wokred fine.

Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back