Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE can't access a site, but Netscape can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leenie

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
CA
Good morning. I have one user on our domain who cannot access our town's website when in IE, but can when in Netscape. Everyone else is fine so it's gotta be an IE setting somewhere on her pc, but I've reset everything to the default settings and still she can't access the site. I uninstalled IE and reinstalled and that didn't work either. Any ideas what I might be missing?
Thanks very much.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

What, exactly, happens when the Milton Public Library computer tries to access the Milton town website? What message is given?

You get:

"The page cannot be displayed"

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Is this a secure website, requiring the user to authenticate with a password, or just a plain old website?

Is the website being accessed across the internet, or internally as part of the Milton intranet?

It's just a plain old website ( accessed over the interet and she can access it with Netscape, just not IE.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
4. Locate and then click to clear the Show friendly HTTP error messages check box, and then click OK.

Now try the site again and see if the error message changes.

That already was selected.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Other pc's in the library are able to access the site using IE?
Is the date/time set correctly on the affected pc?

Yep, everyone else can access the site from IE no problem. Her date/time is accurate too.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Have you tried creating a new user on that computer and testing with that user? Might give us a clue.

Done that too. No one on that pc can access I tried 3 different users on our domain and the administrator. Since you can access the site when using netscape I'm thinking it has to be some setting in IE, but I can't figure out what.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Sounds to me like there is some type of spyware and or virus that is loaded on the machine. Have you tried to run a spyware removal utility? Also are your antivirus defintions up to date?

Virus signatures are updated every 3 hours so that's okay. And I just ran Ad Aware which found 15 critcals that I deleted and still no luck.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

I ran a tracert on the problem pc and my pc with different results. Maybe someone here can explain them:

Okay, here are the results from the tracert:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 199.235.182.254
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms host113.tap.net [216.185.85.113]
3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms energy.on.ca [216.185.85.109]
4 2 ms 4 ms * 216.185.85.94

The rest are request timed. She gets almost the same results as me except that you see where she has the *, I have a 2 ms instead. So, I guess that's where her problem is but I can no idea what that means or how to go about
fixing it. Thanks.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

I had the same issues on a WinXP Pro tablet PC. Did all the things mentioned here and in other posts. Finally downloaded SP2 and that resolved the issue.

Victoria

She already has SP2. Thanks anyway.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back