Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE cannot find server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePL

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
We normally connect to the internet using a wireless broadband connection. (We're running Windows XP.) On one machine, everything seems to be set up right: Broadband status shows it is connected. We have an IP address, subnet mask,gateway/DHCP server, and DNS servers. At the command prompt we can ping an address like "juno.com", and get a response.
However internet explorer can not connect to anything. We went through the auto-detect procedure several times, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE. It keeps saying "cannot find server or DNS server". Could this be a problem with the OS or a virus?

"The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message or “Cannot find server or DNS error”

Note: This works for Windows 98 and ME, I haven't ran into the problem yet with 2000 or XP to try this fix. Proceed with caution and please let me know if it works.

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs.
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to browse the Internet by using a fully qualified domain name (such as you may receive the following error message: The page cannot be displayed or Cannot find server of DNS Error

CAUSE
This behavior can occur for either of the following reasons:
· Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) was installed but not configured before you upgraded operating systems.
· Several Internet service providers (ISPs) modified the Winsock2 section of the registry.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue:
Step 1. Check to see if the IcsLocalDomainName value exists in the registry. The IcsLocalDomainName value is located in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP
If the value does exist, remove it by using any of the following methods. If the value does not exist, skip to step 2.

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network.
2. Click Internet Connection Sharing, click Remove, click OK, and then click OK. If you are prompted to reboot the computer, do so.
3. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
4. Click the Windows Setup tab, click Communications, click Details, click to clear the Internet Connection Sharing check box, and then click OK.
5. Double-click My Network Places on your desktop, and then run the Home Networking Wizard. If you are prompted to reboot your computer, do so.

Note that you can click No, this computer does not use the Internet and No, do not create a Home Networking Setup disk if you do not want to complete the Home Networking Wizard to configure your ISP and your internal network adapter.
6. Locate and click the following registry key, and then delete the IcsLocalDomainName value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

Step 2.Locate and click the following registry key, and then delete the Winsock2 registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
When you remove this registry key, any incorrect entries that may be causing Domain Name System (DNS) errors are removed.
Step 3.Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Step 4.Click Communications on the Windows Setup tab, click Details, click to clear the Dial-Up Networking check box (if it is selected), click OK, and then click OK. If you are prompted to reboot your computer, click No.
Step 5.Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Step 6.Click Communications on the Windows Setup tab, click Details, click to select the Dial-Up Networking check box, click OK, and then click OK. If you are prompted to reboot your computer, click Yes.
Note that when you click to clear or click to select the Dial-Up Networking check box, the Winsock2 registry key to is rebuilt.
This should resolve your connection problems.

I fought this problem last week. I did pretty much the same as vbally tells you, but in my situation it didn't do the trick. It was Spyware that I had deleted and removed part of a pop-up starter application called "CookieCop". What clued me in was that at the bottom left of IE where the dns.htm error comes up, it flashed CookieCop real quick before I got the error. Maybe my experience will help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back