Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE caches in locally stored profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspeed

MIS
Apr 5, 2002
US
Hey folks,
I have a 1.8 sp 3 box running on NT4.0 sp6
The users login and the profiles are stored locally
c:\wtsrv\profiles. Well I have some huge profiles
and it seems to be mostly caches ie files.
How can I automate somekind of deletion or not have ie cache to these profiles at all? Any suggestions welcome, Thank You.

Delete and recreate the "Temporary InternetFiles" directory at logontime in USRLOGON.CMD or limit the cache size of Internet Explorer

Or you could change the path to the temp internet files using a policy, or running IE in change user /install mode and modifying the path or a registry edit - can't remember the exact key offhand, but I think it'll be under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

CitrixEngineer who do I have to logon as to change the folder path in IE so that it propogates to all existing and new users. Please be as specific as you can. Thank you for your help.

The changes won't propagate to existing users unless you can recreate their profiles (in effect, make them new users), but you need to log in as Admin to get the changes to go out to all new users.

Best way of recreating user profiles is simply to delete them. However, in many environments I realise that this is not practical.

The bit that needs to be updated is ntuser.dat (the user's hive portion that contains this path).

I hope this gives enough clues for you to be able to adapt it to your own environment. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back