Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE browser slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2002
US
I am running windows XP home, which has all the current windows updates installed. Recently I have been having trouble opening pages that end with .PHP extensions. They will eventually open but it takes a very long time. This never use to happen and i can't seem to find the source of the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the tips!

Jim

Browser slowdowns I've seen usually have to do with the SETTINGs of IE. Check the "look for newer version of stored pages" option. It should be set to AUTOMATIC for optimum performance. Also the ADVANCED tabs shoudl have teh EMPTY internet temporaty files on exit. This keeps JUNK from collecting.

Does this happen for every PHP file over a number of sites or is it just one or two sites. This sounds more like a server problem than a browser problem. PHP is a server side script so it's not storing the PHP code on your machine, just the rendered HTML page. It's highly possible that they server that the PHP site resides on is running slow, or your internet connection is slow.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

See if there is any help here.

Some reading for you.

IE takes forever
thread608-470502

I actaully only have this problem from a couple of my XP machines. All the other workstations are opening the pages just fine. Our internet connection is fast so no problem there. I have done a lot of testing to narrow it down to just the PHP pages. Is it possible newer versions of Explorer are having trouble with that extension? Or possibly one if the XP updates? I have only been testing this over mine own site but if someone can supply a few other PHP site I'd like to give that a try.

Thanks,
JIm

Can you provide links to the sites you're experienceing problems with?

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

This is definitely a problem with XP, I haven't figured it out yet, but I am seeing it on my intra-net where Windows98 and Windows2K machines have very good response time on our local server while the two new XP machines take forever to move from screen to screen.

My guess is that it is a problem with your antivirus program. For Norton tell it not to scan .js* or .php* pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back