Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE and Netscape compatable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdmoel

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
US
Hello all,<br><br>I have a problem that Maybe someone can help me on (please). I just uploaded a Site (<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> using DreamWeaver. Yes, this is my first site using DreamWeaver. Everything worked well when viewed with an IE Microsoft browser, but when you look at it through Netscape, BOOM! It looks like crap. I have overlapping layers and when you resize the window everything shifts. Also all my Fireworks rollover buttons are disabled as well as my drop down menu. This is what I have tried so far: I added a script to reload the page every time you resize the window (This worked for the most part, but my fireworks buttons still don't work and a couple of things are still off. I also added the resize fix found under commands. I tried to covet all layers to tables, but I need most of them to overlap (thus, does not help). I also have a flash movie that does not work as well. Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for reading this. I am desperate. Again here is the URL: <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF="mailto:smoeller@its-corp.com">smoeller@its-corp.com</A>

First, congratulations: your design is really good.<br><br>This is only to say to you that I have the same problem, and I am desperate too. I have used overlapping layers, and I don´t know what can I do to solve it.<br><br>I can't belive that I will have to make a different design for Netscape and mantain both, Explorer and Netscape.<br><br>Nobody has been able to give me a response. If you are luckier than me, please, let me know (<A HREF="mailto:carzstop@yahoo.es">carzstop@yahoo.es</A>).<br><br>Bye.<br><br>

Very nice design! :eek:)<br><br>I'm afraid there isn't much of a solution to using Layers in Netscape, it just doesn't like them.<br><br>If you can do it without layers and use tables instead, that would be the route I would take, it's just that you happen to have backed yourself into a corner by using layers.<br><br>Any images you need to overlap, could be made into one image, and placed in a table cell, and would create much the same effect to the viewing user.<br><br>I wish I could be more helpful, but I have always avoided using layers because of compatability problems.<br><br>Have you tried looking at it using Netscape 6 Beta? Maybe they have sorted out the layer problem in the new version...<br> <p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@sensibilium.com>ahdkaw@sensibilium.com</a><br><a href= you do visit my sites - be warned! You must be of a discordian nature...'

The more web stuff I do, the less I like Netscape. If you decide to go the browser redirect route then check this out.<br>The html goodies site has some great tutorials. the address below is on overlapping layers.&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> problem is that you have to be using netscape to see them. Oh well...<br>Hope this helps<br>

The best solution is to convert as much as you can to tables and thereafter stack the layers on top. I have created a few pages using this technique&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> along with <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> if anyone looks at the site they will spot a few problem areas these will be resolved soon.<br><br>regards Michael

The best solution is create two versions for IE and NN.<br>You can include JavaScript which automatically loads the <br>appropriate version upon detecting the browser.<br>Teky. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back