Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 9 - save favorites sort order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatman88

MIS
Nov 17, 2010
Does anybody know if there's any way to save the sort order for favorites in IE 9?

I have a user with a lot of favorites that he has manually sorted. Whenever we have to change him to a new computer or reload his existing machine he has to manually re-sort them again. Is there any way to save his manual sort order so it can be re-applied?

I believe you actually have to use the export feature in IE. This will create a backup of the favorites in an .htm file that should preserve the sort order.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

How to manage your favorites in Internet Explorer 9

Manually rearranging them might be the only avauilable option in IE?

How to stop Internet Explorer 9 from rearranging Favorites in alphabetical order? All other tips posted do not help.

Thanks for the reply linney.

I've seen both links.

The first link is pretty generic and doesn't address the issue. The second is an entirely different issue.

Thanks for the input just the same.

IE saves the sort order in this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

Either back that up and import it to the new build after restoring the favourites, or install XMarks which handles it all for you.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back