Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 8 window closes itself......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
Been helping a friend with multiple issues. Think all the viruses are gone, but she loaded IE8 on just before getting the viruses, so I'm not sure if some issues are IE8 or viruses. We'll be working on the internet, and suddenly, the window will close. We can start the internet up again, and go back to what we were doing, but it's a real pain. No rhyme or reason, it just happens. She had Antivirus 2008, but it's gone. I'm close to uninstalling IE8 and see what happens. Suggestions?

It's like ghosts just hit the close button. Funny, it doesn't freeze or slow down, it just closes, quick. You can start it up again just like nothing ever happened and go on your merry way. So, I'm going to have to say the answer is no, because it happens so fast, there is no chance to check the event viewer.

...because it happens so fast, there is no chance to check the event viewer.

You'd normally check the event viewer after the fact. Check in the Application, System, and Internet Explorer event logs.

To access the event viewer click on Start then right click on My Computer and left click on Manage and then expand the Event Viewer section. Alternatively open a CLI box, type eventvwr at the prompt, and hit enter.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read FAQ690-6594: How to ask the best questions and site policies before posting.

This would be tough to trobleshoot, since it's sporradic. You could try running in 'no add-ons mode', but you might have to run that way for a while to make sure the event isn't going to occur in this mode. If this does seem to resolve the problem, you'll have to start work by process of elimination for the problem add-on. Start, run, iexplore.exe -extoff

On some pages, scripts may do this. In Internet Options, Tabs - Settings, check "Warn when closing multiple tabs". Then before going to a page that seems to close itself, open a second tab to another site. Then if a web page is closing itself, you will get a warning message asking if you want to close all tabs and just answer No and none of the tabs will close.

Gigahertz, thanks for the thought, but there is no rhyme or reason. When you say before going to a page that closes itself, any and all of them will do it, and do it so fast, you can't do anything to stop it. You'll be working, and all of a sudden, it's closes. It doesn't disappear, it closes. I know what you're talking about, because my machine does that. Thanks again for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back