Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 7 and/or 8 can't accesss some websites; Firefox can

Status
Not open for further replies.

somedea

MIS
Jul 13, 2004
US
Have a user who cannot access certain websites with IE, but Firefox gets to them just fine. He had IE 8, uninstalled it and went back to 7, same problem and gettting worse. These are not secure websites. Checked for proxy server etc. in IE, all settings look correct. Tried changing the DNS server, no help. Can't understand why Firefox can access but IE can't. User is not happy with "just use Firefox", he wants IE to work. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Java or flash problem? set defaults in ie, load latest java runtime and flash. Wouldn't be a dns issue if firefox can get to the sites.

What do you mean with "cannot access"?

I'd re-check proxy settings and disable all add-ons.

Cheers,
Dian

Tried updating java and flash; I even uninstalled and reinstalled flash player. Disabled add ons, no change. There is no proxy server in place.
Exact error is: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site - Operation aborted" I did find some discussion on this problem from 2008, a problem with websites that use sitemeter code, but their solutions don't help.
Thanks for the help.

Dian - Thanks, that's the sitemeter stuff from 2008. I actually tried all of the fixes on that page, disabling add ons, put *.sitemeter.com into restricted sites, etc. Nothing helped.

Does the user have any security software installed (e.g. Norton, Symantec, etc)? What about any firewall software?

Also, what are the sites he cannot visit? Do they all fall into a similar category (e.g. techy sites, adult sites, etc)?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

We're using Symantec Endpoint Protection. I checked the Windows Firewall, looks ok to me. Sites are mixed, one is federatedinvestors.com, another an extremely important site:
:)
Seems to be getting worse, more sites inaccessible every day.

Just a thought, although I don't think that this is it, you could try uninstalling Silverlight & test.

Tried formatting the drive and starting again (just kidding)?

Have you scanned for malware using a different product?

Stu..

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I've got the same issues somedea describes, on a Vista-64 system. Hotmail is slow and kludgy, and some accounts just won't let me connect, others let me view, but not take action, and they work fine in FireFox. Using F-prot, and the Windows firewall. My brother sent me some links that required Flash, couldn't view them in Hotmail in IE, even after allowing Flash to install, but they worked fine in FireFox. Similar issues in an old Thinkpad running Win2K and IE6 -some things just don't work in IE there either, but I can use them in Opera. strange....

Fred Wagner

Sympology said:
"Tried formatting the drive and starting again (just kidding)?"
I'm just about there. Thanks for all of your suggestions; I have tried all of them. Nothing is helping. I can't spend much more time on it, so I think I'll just have to re-image. It's frustrating when you know there MUST be a reason for this, but you just don't have the time to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back